Latest post Thu, Apr 30 2020 9:23 PM by Jason Cook. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 30 2020 7:57 PM

• Jason Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 6 2013
    • Toronto
    • Posts 19
    • Points 215

What forum will best answer my following question?

With the shift in production to use Skype interviews because of Covid, I'm struggling with the terrible audio that Skype records.  Has anyone experienced this and if so has anyone come up with a solution in Avid MC Audio Suite to make the audio from Skype sound better?  

Thanks! 

Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Apr 30 2020 8:15 PM In reply to

Re: What forum will best answer my following question?

Use Zoom. It has 'Use Orginal Audio' which takes out all the 'improvement' algorithms.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 30 2020 8:24 PM In reply to

• Jason Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 19
    • Points 215

Noted and will pass that onto production but I'm currently working with a Skype interview that is tinny and full of unwanted reverb so I was hoping someone had come up with a wokflow in AVID Audio Suite to correct this the best the could. 

Thanks!  

• Thu, Apr 30 2020 8:48 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, the old adagio: 'garbage in, garbage out' will always apply.

That said, you could try a De-reverb plugin like the one that iZotope has in its RX suite (also available separately), or the De-Verb Plus plugin from PA.

As to tinny, that will usually require some precise EQ'ing. I think the 7-band EQ is still included in MC, right?

You may also try a more complex tool like Soothe2 from Oeksound. Not hard to operate but more meant for subtle balancing than for agressive treatment -- altough it does have an agrresive mode.

McDSP has the SA2 Dialog Processor, which is sort of a multi-band limiter, that does come with a bunch of presets that can help make things sound less harsh. I currently have an issue with that one under Win 10, though it works fine under OSX.

And still on the iZotope front, there is Neutron 2, which has a learning mode that can help you find the right frequency starting points. Not a very easy tool to use on a lot of clips, though.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 30 2020 9:23 PM In reply to

• Jason Cook
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 19
    • Points 215

A wealth of info and I will explore these options, thank you!! 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller