Latest post Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:17 AM by mrickard72. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 13 2020 3:42 PM

HP RGS - VPN discussion - remote working

I'm interested how people are getting on with this and their setups. It definitely works for us, I'm on Z840 for the sender and Z440 for the receiver and 2 screens at 1920x1200 and it's very workable. I've also streamed the client monitor using Sienna NDI over the same VPN , we get about 1o frames delay doing this. I tried Medialooks as well than that works but a bit trickier to set up. Without the client monitor it's hard to tell you are working remotely, and very little investment to make it work. 

I was curious what other setups are working.. How about MAC receivers and PC senders, and is it better with one 2560x1080 display for the avid ? And can you go to 3 monitors so the third is the client monitor?

And also are people finding it tricy to set up with random other receivers.? It's easy to control when we own all the kit and it's basically avid spec, but what about more random receiver equipment?

Just interested in peoples experience and whats working. 

Thanks

Nige

25 MC 8.5 x Mostly PC Terrablock ISIS 1000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 14 2020 6:58 PM In reply to

Re: HP RGS - VPN discussion - remote working

Hi Nigel,

I spent a week and a bit remote editing from home using HP RGS on an HP420 as a receiving PC. The whole setup was put together very quickly with the enviable engineers remote accessing my machine using Teamviewer to install the software.

I only ran one screen but one of my colleague's is happily working across two on another home HP420. My other colleague is also happily controlling the sender (an HP Z4 I believe) from his MacPro laptop.

I was really impressed about how responsive the whole setup was, the only issues I got was sharing my internet connection when my son was also home working. Turning the RGS performance down and switching off stereo in the audio setting sorted that out. I was very pleasantly surprised at how similar to sitting in the suite the whole experience was.

Paul R

Symphony V6.04 Windows 10 Pro HP Z400 16gbRAM Quadro FX1800 Avid First Windows 10 Pro Hp Z420 12Gb RAM Nvidia Quadro 410 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 14 2020 7:21 PM In reply to

Hi Paul,

Very good.. How fast is your internet? And you where happy you could be reasonably productive on one screen? 1920 x 1080? 

Do you know the sender PC?

Nige

• Tue, Apr 14 2020 8:13 PM In reply to

HP RGS/Booster uses dynamic compression. It will use very little bandwidth if the sender screen is mostly static (1-3 Mb static. 3-8 Mb/s typical). Assuming the content of the second screen is the same as the first, then your bandwidth needs (upload for the send, download for the receiver) just doubles.

Using the second or third monitor as full-screen playback will significantly increase the bandwidth load. How much? It depends on the video. Fast cutting with a lot of movements will be around 10-30 Mb/s. That is just an estimate.

FYI - the sender computer does not need any monitor attached to it. You can configure the HP software to emulate the receivers monitor configuration though the bandwidth math remains the same.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2020 10:43 AM In reply to

Hi Nigel,

My internet speed varied between 32 Mb/s and 48 Mb/s over the run of a week and a half. I would speedtest using fast.com or speedtest.net before starting in the morning and reboot my router if it was sluggish.

I was working on a 27" 1920x1080 monitor and used a single "Super bin" (in old money) by dragging the tabs from each open bin into it. When I was reviewing I used a single monitor view enlarged to fill around 2/3rds of the monitor screen. This did suck a lot of my bandwidth as the data usage my end appeared to be directly proportional to the size of the moving video image. Leaving the cursor at the top of the screen to allow the HP RGS dropdown to appear, showed peaks of 30 Mb/s at times particularily with major studio lighting changes on wideshots (so pretty complex pictures). I think I was running HP RGS at around 40% performance most of the time although it was still usable at 25% (looked a bit like offlining at 10:1).

I believe my sender PC was an HP Z4. As I understand it my receiving PC sends the information about it's desktop resolution to the sending PC which matches accordingly.

I was pretty happy with my productivity given how quickly the whole setup was put together. I managed to complete my shows to the same schedule as I would have done had I been sitting in the suite. The only thing I missed was a full screen client monitor output and with more time I would have sorted a faster broadband connection my end. 

Paul R

Symphony V6.04 Windows 10 Pro HP Z400 16gbRAM Quadro FX1800 Avid First Windows 10 Pro Hp Z420 12Gb RAM Nvidia Quadro 410 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:19 PM In reply to

Hasn't this been renamed to zCentral Remote Boost?

Aside from that, I cannot get it to work. May have to do with firewalls, which I'm uncomfortable to toy with.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:26 PM In reply to

I think you'd have to have a VPN but then for us it works without any firewall adjustments or any additional setup at either end.

I set it up between 2 local machines first to test before doing over the internet.

• Wed, Apr 15 2020 3:59 PM In reply to

Yes, it has been repackaged and renamed zCentral Remote Boost.

The software will only see and communicate with computers on the same LAN. VPN is the common method to connect a home network to the office network. Some consumer home routers do have VPN capabilities.

Nigel - are you not using VPN to peer through?

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:04 PM In reply to

Yes we are using a VPN but no special firewall setup after that

Nige

• Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:17 AM In reply to

• mrickard72
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 9 2016
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

What kind of VPN are you using? I am set up with the LPT2 VPN serive built into the facilities EdgeRouter and seeing some frequent connection warnings / disconnects. 

Thanks,

Mike 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller