Latest post Fri, May 15 2020 4:35 PM by Jason Sedmak. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 27 2020 1:46 PM

COVID-19: Implement a Webcam output directly from MC?

Dear Avid,

Just had to flew back home bc of the aforementioned new reality.

I have a few gigs that have no money for hardware (and complex) implementations of video sharing for remote client supervision. Director accompaning the editing of an indie feature, for example.

Realistcally speaking, how difficult it is to implement a webcam output feature in MC? Think FSP for webcam stream that can be used in Zoom, Skype, etc

Cheers,

Ed.

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 27 2020 4:11 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

Re: COVID-19: Implement a Webcam output directly from MC?

Newtek NDI ?

(can be used as output from MC and as virtual webcam for Skype etc...)

MC -> NDI -> Newtek Virtual Input -> Skype

MC 2018.12.10 (+Symphony)/BCC2019 12.5.2/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor+Recorder (11.4.1); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 27 2020 9:35 PM In reply to

You could use the existing screen sharing (with full screen display) with Zoom.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 27 2020 10:34 PM In reply to

For my poor man's version of Evercast, streaming through Skype works pretty well. Here's how I do it on a Mac with a couple of tools.

CamTwist allows you to set areas of the screen as a camera source in Skype, including adding a picture in picture of your webcam. So I have a setting to show just the Record monitor, and then Record monitor and a small picture in picture of me, and also a setting with timeline/source/record.  Then, for audio, I use Loopback, which is like Soundflower, creating an audio source, but you can mix Avid output with microphone and adjust the levels.  Wear headphones.  Pretty seamless and with a good connection your director/client can 'get the idea'.  Best to have them wear heaphones/mic as well.

Good luck.

2017 MacBook Pro Aja IO/XT Mojave 10.14.6 MC 2019.12.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2020 2:27 PM In reply to

I tried FSP via skype and sync was an issue.  I will take a look into camtwist, let's see.

Using NDI seems the better option, maybe with OBS, but really... all NLEs should have a "webcam" option. Not convolute and complex solutions.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/How_To/stream-MC-video-NDI

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2020 6:53 PM In reply to

Eduardo Serrano:
    http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/How_To/stream-MC-video-NDI

Requieres a PC to work. So, no way out on this one.

• Mon, Mar 30 2020 7:07 PM In reply to

I haven't figured it out yet, but NewTek NDI does have a Mac version so I'm looking into running it all on one system.  Or maybe I'll just try Zoom like a lot of other people.

2017 MacBook Pro Aja IO/XT Mojave 10.14.6 MC 2019.12.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2020 8:06 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 516
    • Points 6,395
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Zoom is OK, but the video frame rate of the desktop share is quite low - I'd guess 8-10 fps.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 31 2020 2:11 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,590

try discord.  direct chat.  It is for gaming so high frame rates are supported.

w10, mc 2020.4, diy x299 7940x [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 31 2020 3:27 AM In reply to

You do need Zoom or some kind of soft to engage into the videochat. I tried Camtwist but framerate and sync wasn't that great.

NDI has mac tools but it's lacking the "NDI virtual input" that is PC-only and essential for the workflow to work. I'm surrending myself to the idea of installing windows on an older laptop I have here but it seems so out of place to run a setup like this, specially when one have a computer that should be good enough to handle it all.

My second option would be to buy a used BM mini recoder but their prices went to through the roof... frustating.

Wirecast (telestream) also seems to work since it has a virtual webcam output but this software is 600$ and it advises against loopback for latency issues. 

• Tue, Apr 14 2020 11:38 AM In reply to

I found a way to make it work using Ecamm Live. It will take the internal NDI output of MC directly and allow you to setup "scenes" to different scenarios, like your NLE video with a PIP of your webcam etc. It will then generate a virtual webcam output one can use with your prefered chat solution (zoom, skype).

To make it really work, you need to install blackhole to patch the audio to zoom. No need to loopbak which is pretty expensive. Just use blackhole as a mike in Zoom and you are set to go. Skype is even easier because of the integration with Ecamm Live.

It's very nice cohesive solution. It costs some money because of its subscription model but it's damm cheaper than buying a hardware or a expensive service. I just wish there was a simpler, non subs solution to play around.

For me, this solution is OK but It seems my skype/zoom connection is pretty bad where I am located so I am still looking for a way to patch the NDI directly to the client via Sienna (?). Still digging into this.

• Mon, Apr 20 2020 6:19 PM In reply to

• Ryan Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 53
    • Points 670

Some heroic developer out there should write an Open_IO plugin that routes video and audio directly from Media Composer to a virtual Webcam device that's available to Zoom, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc. (remember 'iChat Theater' in FCP7?)

Thanks for the tip about Ecamm/Blackhole, but I agree that a more elegant foolproof solution would be preferrable. I've been messaing around with NDI / OBS / Virtual Webcam, etc. It's a lot of moving parts, and many points of failure.

By the way, Sienna Remote Monitor is impressive- very low latency. However it's not exactly 'client freindly'. To my knowledge there's no authentication mechanism or stream encryption. I think it was designed to transport video via VPN from a cloud-based edit workstation. Some type of branded secure web-portal surrounding Remote Monitor would be great.

Good luck!

-Ryan

iMacs, MacPro's, OSX 10.14.6, MC 2019.12, Nexis 2019.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 23 2020 3:31 PM In reply to

Ryan Johnson:
    Some heroic developer out there should write an Open_IO plugin that routes video and audio directly from Media Composer to a virtual Webcam device that's available to Zoom, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc. (remember 'iChat Theater' in FCP7?)

Mike Woodworth is developing a solution (https://twitter.com/vexed/status/1247796650891853824?s=21) that is not based on OpenIO but on apple's API and his own tools. He's the developer behind ScopBox, so we would get a reliable (color wise) solution at least. Well, IF he gets to work on the Avid MC output as well, last time I checked, he didn't know if there would be enough people interested in it, so, please sign up and make sure he knows you are interested.

Ryan Johnson:
    By the way, Sienna Remote Monitor is impressive- very low latency. However it's not exactly 'client freindly'. To my knowledge there's no authentication mechanism or stream encryption. I think it was designed to transport video via VPN from a cloud-based edit workstation. Some type of branded secure web-portal surrounding Remote Monitor would be great.

Yeah, it is a pretty neat solution but it lacks some security features. It is a bit combersome to install the client, but with some RA one could do it, and it's also something that some Evercast solution would require.

Let's hope that Avid developers take a look at this thread and find a way to make this work.

• Thu, Apr 23 2020 3:39 PM In reply to

Zoom does have a tick box to optimise for video but tried it as yet.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Apr 23 2020 4:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,311
    • Points 232,440
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Pat Horridge:

Zoom does have a tick box to optimise for video but tried it as yet.

I just was on a zoom call........ and they were able to break us into different breakrooms to collaborate then brings us all back together.

AMAZING

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller