Latest post Fri, Mar 27 2020 1:55 PM by Miguel. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 25 2020 11:30 AM

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 33
    • Points 355

Export to AAF with mixed resolutions: Video Unknown Format exception

Hello!

First and foremost, I hope that this message finds you and your loved ones welll and healthy!

Now, I began editing sequences in UHD and 1080p format, with mixed resolution and encoded media shot in both formats, in the timeline, using the respective DNxHR SQ and DNxHD 120 codecs. All the editing process is done without any issues.

The problem arises when I export the sequences to AAF with embeded media (we don't have shared storage, like Nexis). In the end an error message is displayed: UNKNOWN VIDEO FORMAT!

After several attempts, I realized that if I transcode all media, uniforming the codec, the AAF export is successful. However, this has some drawbacks:

- In 1080p sequences, transcoding UHD (DNxHR SQ) media to 1080p (DNxHD 120) causes loss of resolution I need to perform simple effects, like zooming in, or scale.
    - In UHD sequences, I'm forced to use Avid Titler +, which is still very buggy (AMC 2018.12), does not support every font, neither accentuated characters in my language and has no animation features, as Marquee.

With all these in mind, my questions are if there is any way to work around that error, if there is any troublshoot for it and if Avid has already addressed, or will adress it in future releases.

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

Stay @ home!
    Stay safe!
    Stay healthy!

Media Composer 8.8.5 | Pro Tools 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac (Late 2012) 21,5" - Core i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB VRAM | Caldigit... [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

• Wed, Mar 25 2020 5:03 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,625
    • Points 43,675

Re: Export to AAF with mixed resolutions: Video Unknown Format exception

Rather than use Embedded Media, can you try either Media Drive or Folder?  This will move the newly created media into one or the other.  This might solve you issue.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Mar 25 2020 7:16 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 33
    • Points 355

Thank you very much for the tip, Jef! Yes

The export to AAF was successful! Big Smile

One more question: when imprting the AAF file into Media Composer, how exactly will I handle the media files? Do I drop them in the existing Avid MediaFiles folder, or is there another procedure?

Media Composer 8.8.5 | Pro Tools 11.3.1 | MacOS 10.12.6| iMac (Late 2012) 21,5" - Core i7 - 3,1 GHz - 16 GB RAM - nVidia 650M 512 MB VRAM | Caldigit... [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

• Wed, Mar 25 2020 11:19 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,625
    • Points 43,675

Probably depends which you choose.

Media drive or folder.  Which did you do?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Mar 26 2020 3:51 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 33
    • Points 355

Hello Jef!

I chose to export to a folder.

Still, I would like know more about exporting to a media drive (advantagens/disadvantages) and if I can export to logical drive (volume, partition, image disc (DMG, ISO,...) and the workflow.

Can  you help me out?

Miguel

• Thu, Mar 26 2020 6:25 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,625
    • Points 43,675

I actually do not use the export to media drive.  I suggest you just do some experimenting!

For the Folder option, you should be able to just drag that into you Avid storage.  You said you are not using any shared storage system I believe, so (in case you do not know) here is how Avid Media storage works - short version.

Any drive can have Avid storage.

At the root (top) level of a drive you need a folder labeled (exactly - no quotes) "Avid MediaFiles"

In there you have a folder labeled "MXF"

In there you have numbered (only numbers) folders.  These are where you real media lives.

Avid will ALWAYS attempt to write new media to "1".  But other numbers are valid.

So I would take the folder that the AAF generated, relabel it "100" (just to keep things straight for now) and move that into the "MXF" folder.  As soon as you click bak into Avid, it may look at the contents and do something called Indexing.  Depending on the amount of clips in the folder this can be super quick or a long time.

Now to truly test this, the original drive holding the media should be turned off / disconected / removed / what ever.  You want to make sure Avid can NOT see it.

You then need to find the .aaf file generated at the start of this process and import that file into an empty bin. This should generate a list of clips and a sequence.  Hopefully everything is online and correct.

Give it a try.  Good luck.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Mar 26 2020 7:09 PM In reply to

Then the contents of that folder (filled with MXF files) needs to be moved into a numbered folder on the target system.

So a numbered folder within the MXF folder under the Avid MediaFiles folder at the root level of the media drive.

Then launch MC and you should see it scan that folder and create the media databases. This then makes that media visible to MC

Then inport the AAF composition and it should just link.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Mar 27 2020 1:55 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 33
    • Points 355

Thank you very much Jef and Pat!

You've been most helpful.

Stay safe!

Miguel

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller