Latest post Fri, Mar 27 2020 12:44 AM by wmcole. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 25 2020 3:32 AM

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

Media Composer Support Terminated Without Warning

I have purchased support through Nov. 13, 2021 and it is so stated on "My Products" page.  However, when I attempt to open MC 2019.12 (which  opened just fine at least several times since its initial install in Dec. 2019) it now tells me my contract expired in Nov. 2019.  I get another panel with activation options (I have maintained my HW key activation) but when I select to activate via the HW key, I get routed back to the panel that says my contract has expired. 

Next I try to report this via the support page.  Clicking create a case sends me to a "My Account" page with blocks of help menus with all kinds of pages EXCEPT one where I can actually make a support request.  One line in one meny says, "You do not have access to the Support Center" while the alert that won't allow MC to actually run provides a button "Go to Avid Support" which takes me back to this same page.

QUESTIONS:

1. If a "Support Contract" only allows access to updates and not support, shouldn't it be renamed "Update Subscription Contract"?
    2. If I am not allowed to contact support, how do I find out what I need to do to get the software to recognize the fact that my contract DID NOT expire in Nov. 2019?
    3. Since I supposedly had paid for support all along but in fact was not authorized to actually get the support I thought I was paying for, shouldn't I get some form of credit for the entire period (several years) of support for which I paid that, had I tried to use it, would have been denied?

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Wed, Mar 25 2020 6:36 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer Support Terminated Without Warning

Have you updated the dongle (I assume from the screenshot you're using one) recently? Take a look at this thread:

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/185486.aspx

If that doesn't work, send an email to Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com) and Raff Condalor (raff.condalor@avid.com).  They are Avid's customer advocates, and can help you.

Media Composer 2019.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 25 2020 12:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,004
    • Points 228,520
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

NOTE:  When you renew your Upgrade and Support plan, you will need to re-activate the SW License or update the dongle in order for your license to pick up your new Upgrade and Support plan expiration date. 

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Mar 27 2020 12:44 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

I had done that when I got the last MC update in Dec. and things seemed OK until I tried to open MC to check if the latest NewBlueFX Titler Pro7 update worked properly from within MC.  So I downloaded and re-ran the dongle updater but no joy.  Since it was 2:00 AM by then I powered down.

Next day (yesterday) the time from power-on until the login screen appeared took a really long time (like go make yourself a nice machiatto with the nice espresso machine that is about 20 paces away from the workstation, return, have a few sips...) during which there was non-stop heavy HD access.  Then, as soon as I logged in and the desktop screen appeared, a Windows setup panel for Avid Link popped up.  I hit the necessary buttons to complete the install. Then I checked MC and it started with the first window as shown in my original post.  The second window did not appear, and MC started normally as expected.

I think something messed with the dongle after my Dec update of it.  There were two times in late Feb where my workstation auto-restarted in "off hours", apparently in response to Windows Update, and a major update of anti-malware suite after which I noticed some of my system and backup application settings were changed.  My media array (RAID 5) went through a long "rebuilding" period similar to what happens if you replace a drive.  So it appears maybe the dongle got splattered.

Marianna, this is the dongle that you helped me with - I think it was in the late nineties - when it dropped one bit of its serial number.  One hex digit changed from and E to A, if you recall, so confidence in the dongle is less than 100%.

Anyway, for now it appears to be resolve.

BTW, I hunted for the dongle scanner utility but it appears that was removed from the MC distribution package sometime in the 2013-14 period.  Any chance it could be revived, or a similar function added to Avid Link so that I can see what is on the dongle like the old dongle scan results?  Might help me avoid panic if something like this happens again.

Oh, and for those who think sticking with dongles is stupid, I have my reasons - like unreliable ISP (Cox - say the name out loud - it says it all! ;^} and (as a former software engineer) a healthy "digital social distancing" for protection from all manner of digital "illnesses" that plague cloud and social media users.  OK - I'm a  paper tape and stylus, punch card, front-panel boot strap Luddite, old dog that don't want to learn no new tricks (like "subscription-ware" which is to my thinking simply legalized extortion and ransomware.)

Anyway, thanks for the help on the tech side.  I still don't know why, with valid support contract I am barred from access to the support portal.  Does that mean these fora are the only support option for those with valid support contracts?

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller