Latest post Wed, Mar 18 2020 3:25 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 18 2020 9:33 AM

Transcoded MXFs from one system used to replace Linked-only clips in another

If two editors are working separately on the Same Project, remotely, and both have access to the same video file, but one editor is using a Linked Clio to edit with, but the other editor is using a Transcode of the same clip... what happens in the "linked-clip" editor"s Timeline/Sequences after he or she moves a copy of the MXF files from the other editor's system into their Avid MediaFiles/MXF folder? Specifically: can the "Linked-only" editor replace (or Relink) any sections of their previously edited sequences which used  linked masterclips? Or do they always needi to do their own Transcode despite working off the same exact video file?

I suppose I can test this, but does anyone know? It has to do with setting up an "assistant workflow" where the main  "linked-only" editor can concentrate on editorial and get MXFs without Background Transcoding or taking time out to Transcode in the foreground.

thanks for any thoughts / experience .

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 18 2020 11:56 AM In reply to

Re: Transcoded MXFs from one system used to replace Linked-only clips in another

Basically yes it can work. Any timeline can be re-linked to either Avid media (thats the easy one) or AMA linked media (thats more complex)

But you need a really clear robust method of managing the linked media and the transcoded Avid media or it can all get very complicated.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Mar 18 2020 3:03 PM In reply to

Re: Transcoded MXFs from one system used to replace Linked-only clips in another

Pat, Thank you for replying. It's a time when Avid's deep toolbox and years of expertise will shine.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 18 2020 3:25 PM In reply to

If you get stuck just reach out

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller