Latest post Fri, Feb 21 2020 9:40 PM by Erik. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 19 2020 9:47 AM

Error when import graphics w alpha as DNxHR HQX

I find I get errors when trying to import graphics created in After Effects with an alpha channel, rendered out with Avid DNxHR codecs, and then imported into Media Composer.

Process in After Effects:

1) Create UHD graphic comps with alpha and render out RGB+Alpha as Avid DNxHR High Quality (12 bit). My AE porject is set to 16 bits

Process in Media Compser:

2) Set project size to UHD 

3) Import as DNxHR HQX

The resulting import gives the error indicated in my attached screen captures. I don't get the same error when importing graphics rendered with QT Animation codec. Also I notice a colour shift when using the Avid codecs. This error does not happan when importing graphics files without an alpha channel.

Where am I going wrong? Any help will be much appreciated.

Using After Effects CS6 and Media Composer 2019.12

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 4:32 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,666
    • Points 44,105

Re: Error when import graphics w alpha as DNxHR HQX

Not sure if this will help but After Effects CS6 is really old.  There have been lots of changes in both AE and Avid since then.

I would download the current AE (there is a free trial period) and test the workflow to see if that fixes it.

DNx HR did not exist when CS6 was built, so that in itself could be the issue.  And color handling from Avid to AE back to Avid has gotten much better / easier with current versions.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Feb 20 2020 6:20 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

I do this pretty reguarly without issue. I also suspect it may be due to the outdated AE version.

MC 2019.9 Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, 64GB of Memory, Core i9 7940x @3.1Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. Running Win10 Pro 64bit MC 2018.4 Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 21 2020 7:34 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated 

As a small business I've been trying to avoid getting shafted by Adobe's subscription model, but it seems there is no escaping anymore. I will upgrade After Effects.

Pity...I've grown really attached to my AE CS6. I call mine Phil... Big Smile

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 21 2020 9:18 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

I've grown to love the Creative Cloud subscription model as I can always get the lastest versions...quicker bug fix releases and feature updates. I hated saving up money to buy the latest version only to get shafted when they released another version with some feature I really needed just outside of their free upgrade period.

I know some freelancers that like it too... they can turn on/off their subscription between jobs if they want.

I also don't think that Adobe supports many of those older versions on newer versions of the OS, so if you have upgraded your OS and hardware there are chances that you may run into all sorts if strange issues.

You may think about re-adjusting your rates/prices in order to absorb the cost of the software.

MC 2019.9 Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, 64GB of Memory, Core i9 7940x @3.1Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti. Running Win10 Pro 64bit MC 2018.4 Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 21 2020 9:40 PM In reply to

• Erik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,510

By the way, these are the settings I'm using. Notice that the new version of After Effects no longer has a dependency on Quicktime. Quicktime player hasn't really been supported by Apple for over 10 years...so the configuration dialog box is also different.

I use Avid DNxHR HQX 10bit.

output module 

Codec Configuration

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller