Latest post Fri, Mar 6 2020 10:25 PM by Martin Fox. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 18 2020 4:35 PM

Adding a control point in Symphony without moving it...

In Resolve, holding down, i think, shift? when adding a control point in a curves-based correction will ensure that the control point is added without affecting the curve.  I find in Symphony when I'm adding a control point, it inevitably makes a small adjustment to the curve, normally pushing it up or down towards R, G or B.  Is there an equivalent modifier in Avid that also keeps the control point neutral? 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 5 2020 10:35 AM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 232
    • Points 2,580

Re: Adding a control point in Symphony without moving it...

I'm pretty sure there is no such modifier :-/

You can do it if you have an Artist Color panel though.

Media Composer 2020.12 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Thu, Mar 5 2020 11:01 AM In reply to

Thanks, yeah, I don't have that panel.  Do you find it decent with Symphony or is it better with other software?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 5 2020 12:36 PM In reply to

The artist panel works well with Resolve (but I prefer the BlackMagic Mini panel)

But I find with Sympony its laggy and the response of the controls seems erratic.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Mar 5 2020 12:57 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 746
    • Points 9,400

Pat Horridge:

The artist panel works well with Resolve (but I prefer the BlackMagic Mini panel)

But I find with Sympony its laggy and the response of the controls seems erratic.

I agree with Pat about the Artist panel being quite laggy with Symphony. 

However, if you invest in the Baselight Editions plugin for Avid, you'll find the Artist Color works pretty well with that.

It's by far the best option if you want professional colour grading inside Avid.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 5 2020 12:59 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 232
    • Points 2,580

As Pat wrote it's not impressive with Symphony. I spoke to some guys from Avid about this at IBC some years back and they didn't seem to care the least :-/

I almost exclusively use Artist Color with Baselight for Avid and that works very well.

Media Composer 2020.12 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Thu, Mar 5 2020 5:38 PM In reply to

Thanks for the input guys. Nice to know it works with Baselight. Shame Avid can't make their own kit work with their own software though.  

Cheers,

Andi

• Thu, Mar 5 2020 6:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,516
    • Points 234,955
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

HI Andi....

Agree 150% and I am again sending this comment over to the Artist team.   :)  Should work better IMO.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 6 2020 10:44 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 746
    • Points 9,400

Marianna:

HI Andi....

Agree 150% and I am again sending this comment over to the Artist team.   :)  Should work better IMO.

Marianna

It would be amazing if this was improved, but we've been asking for this for (I think) over ten years, so if you have some secret 'cattle-prod' you could employ, I'm sure we'd all want to buy you a drink! - especially since the Artist series is now EOL

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 6 2020 10:25 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 262
    • Points 2,785

I notice that the Eucon app that comes with the Avid ipad / tablet app has the facility to map the iPad buttons to the Eucon colour controls for the artist colour hardware.

ive only been using it for audio mixing, and found it to be easily configured for lots of avid command that have no keyboard equivalent,  solo/ mute for example.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller