Latest post Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:34 PM by apmende. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 25 2020 7:44 PM

• apmende
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 35
    • Points 575

Deleting Databases VS Renaming Folders

I have media that I know is there but is not relinking.  I have a total of 5 drives, which have several MXF folders and a ton of individual folders in each one of these folders.  Should I save time and skip a step by going through just renaming the folders...

Becomes 

or should I go into each individual folder and delete the 2 database files?

I guess my question is if I delete the database files it will look through every file as opposed to renumbering them, which will let Avid look at the database file and add or reindex it as needed.  I hope I explained this correctly.

Thank you!

• Sun, Jan 26 2020 4:29 AM In reply to

Re: Deleting Databases VS Renaming Folders

If Avid has indexed a number folder inside your MXF folder it has indexed that folder irrespective of what Avid MediaFiles\MXF folder you put that folder in. 

You can rename any folder with a number only name and MC will read that folders database. It does not need  to have the database deleted and be re-indexed.

Any number folder in an MXF folder that has a current database can be renamed to an alpha numeric name and MC will read it.  MC wont re-index an alpha numeric name folder. This means if you copy files into that folder you would need to temporarily rename it to a number only name. Then MC will re-index the folder. Once this folder has a current database you can rename the folder back to its alpha numeric name.

This can be incredibly useful /powerful once you understand it.

Alayne

• Sun, Jan 26 2020 11:19 AM In reply to

Renumbering folders won't resolve missing media.

To solve that delete the media databases and let them rebuild.

Spolitting content across multiple numbered folders helps isolate a problem folder and not have to rebuild all the databases.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Jan 29 2020 1:34 PM In reply to

• apmende
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 35
    • Points 575

Thank you for all of the info.  It gives me a better understanding of how the file structure and databases work.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller