Latest post Tue, Jan 28 2020 10:16 AM by Rory T. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 24 2020 10:17 AM

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 49
    • Points 540

LCR (left, cantre, right) audio monitoring

Hello,
    I am trying to find a cheap easy solution to do Left, Centre, Right audio monitoring from AJA 4KIO.  I immediate thought of the 16 channel mackie but this is overkill for just three ins and three outs.  What mixers or hardware are people using to do such a thing?  Is a digi003 still an option in 2018.12?  Is it a good option, I have had little success with it when trying it a few years back.It will be running on a trashcan mac pro.  Are people doing this, and if so how? Any advise is greatly appreciated Rory

• Fri, Jan 24 2020 9:53 PM In reply to

Re: LCR (left, cantre, right) audio monitoring

HDMI out of your I/O device into a home cinema pre-processor. There are a bunch of those that come with XLR outputs. I'm using one for 5.1 monitoring.

Also see http://community.avid.com/forums/p/185560/864315.aspx

Or any mixer with at least a stereo Main Bus and a (post-fader) Aux Send. A good old Yamaha 01V would suffice. It has more than enough inputs, two main outs and 4 assignable OMNI outs. The downside would be not having one simple master fader. On the bright side, the Yamaha allows you to group/gang faders, although I'm not certain you can gang more than two channels... obviously there are multichannel monitorimg solutions like those from SPL. But by then, using a home theater pre pro is probably more cost effective.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 27 2020 10:29 AM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 49
    • Points 540

Thank you for the response.  I was looking at sm pro audio m patch 5.1.  But people complain that, with them, the ten point rotary pot being not sensitive enough.  I was looking at a Big Knob also.  But neither allow for independent volume control.

Good link.  

• Mon, Jan 27 2020 2:36 PM In reply to

What do you mean by independent volume control? Like on a mixer, per channel? IMHO, if you work in LCR, it is best to use the Avid's internal mixer to handle panning and levels and then have a master volume to set your monitoring level. Otherwise, how does anything you do ever end up in any exports you do? Also MC can do on-the-fly folddowns to LoRo stereo.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 28 2020 10:16 AM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 49
    • Points 540

I agree 100%.  I read a spec for a job that requested 16 channel mackies and LCR monitoring.  So I was trying to find an cheaper/better solution to do LCR monitoring.  The I am preempting what might be said when I offer an alternative solution.  The M-Audio Air 192|14 might be a solution.  It looks to have (2) ¼” assignable auxiliary outs but I can't see in the manual how therse are assigned. 
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller