Latest post Fri, Nov 15 2019 8:25 AM by agw. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 14 2019 8:37 AM

• agw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 5 2014
    • Posts 34
    • Points 445

Audio adds video frames by default

Are there any settings that can be altered to change the behaviour of Avid Media Composer when adding audio to a timeline?

Whenever I add audio of any kind, as well as the relevant audio tracks being patched into the timeline, by default a track of video is also automatically patched in - even though, as it's an audio file, there is no video. This results in a black frames being added.

I'm working on a laptop, so there are some occassions where for reasons for limited screen space I'm focusing on the audio section of the timeline so I can't see the Video Track patch panels and might forget to make sure the audio edit isn't going to wipe out the corresponding video track. This has happened numerous times.

Hopefully what I've described makes sense. It's a relatively minor bug bear but it would be useful to know if there is a way around it. 

Many Thanks,

Adam

• Thu, Nov 14 2019 7:55 PM In reply to

Re: Audio adds video frames by default

I think what you are seeing is 'filler'. A long-standing useful concept. What do you expect to happen?

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Thu, Nov 14 2019 8:53 PM In reply to

• agw
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 445

Well, if your editing a piece of audio into a timeline, like a music track or VO - I wouldn't really expect it to affect any of the video tracks. It's just audio, after all, why should the video tracks come into play? If I've already edited some shots together, for example, then wish to lay a music track or VO underneath those shots - if I forget to turn off the video track when editing a piece of audio in, the shots I've assembled get replaced with a useless Filler.

I'm training myself to remember this, and to turn off the video track accordingly, but it would be better if I didn't have to do an extra click every time I want to lay some audio in the timeline. I can't really see the benefit of filler in this scenario, to be honest. That's why I wondered if there was a way to change this behaviour. But if there isn't, there isn't. I'll just have to remember to jump through the hoop every time.

• Thu, Nov 14 2019 9:59 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,789
    • Points 45,365

I have to say I am confused.  If I have some audio ONLY material and I edit into a sequence, it does NOT overcut the video.  If there is video associated then I must be conscious of what video tracks are enabled on the source and record side.

What you are describing (if I understand it) is NOT normal behavior.

EDIT: I think I see what you mean now. I do need to turn off any video tracks but I guess it so much habit to check that only the tracks I am intending to change are enabled that I overlooked this.

It is like looking both ways before crossing the street.  I just do it.  Big Smile

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Nov 15 2019 8:25 AM In reply to

• agw
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 34
    • Points 445

Thanks Jef,

Yeah, I can see how you would forget you are even doing this after having done it routinely for a long time. 

I've been cutting on Avid for about a year now, so I am still relatively new - though this is one of the few little things that still trips me up every now and then. It's not part of my muscle memory from other NLE's, where you don't have to do this. Then again, Avid is much better than the other software I've used so - swings and roundabouts I guess - to continue your road metaphor :)

I mapped a keyboard shortcut for turning video tracks on and off, I should try and get in the habit of using that instead of a mouse click to try and make things a little quicker.

Cheers,

Adam

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller