Latest post Tue, Nov 12 2019 10:29 PM by YKdvd. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 12 2019 4:11 PM

• YKdvd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 12 2019
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Import/AMA-Linking Windows shortcut files

Say we have a Windows directory with some video files, and another directory with Windows shortcut link files to those videos.  It appears our editors (I'm a software guy with no Avid experience) can use the File->Import command to bring up a file selection dialog, choose all the videos, and bring them in.  They can also File->Import to choose the shortcuts in their separate directory, and import the actual videos as expected.

They can also choose "File=>Link to AMA Files()", and select the actual videos from the dialog.  But if they AMA Link using the shortcuts, they get an error.  The same thing happens when using Alt-drag-and-drop to AMA link the shortcuts.  I'm thinking that the AMA linking code is somehow retrieving the contents of the shortcut file itself, instead of it being dereferenced to point to the video file.  This would be strange, as my understanding of the WIN32 CommonItemDialog/IFileOpenDialog stuff (and I believe the older equivalents) is that it returns the user's chosen files already dereferenced in regards to shortcuts, unless a flag is explicitly passed indicating that the caller wants the actual shortcuts.

Does anyone know why the AMA Linking of shortcuts wouldn't work in the same way as importing them?  Is the Avid software doing some sort of older/custom file chooser dialog that is somehow bypassing shortcut resolution?  They are using I believe Windows 7 and Media Composer 8.x - it would be interesting to know, if this is a glitch, whether it might work differenty when they move to Win10 and the current MC software.

• Tue, Nov 12 2019 9:26 PM In reply to

Re: Import/AMA-Linking Windows shortcut files

Well I can confirm AMA linking to shortcuts doesn't work in Windows 10 with the current 2019.9 release.

But to be honest I've never tried it before or would suggest it.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Tue, Nov 12 2019 10:29 PM In reply to

• YKdvd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 12 2019
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Import/AMA-Linking Windows shortcut files

Our render approval process places a video in a certain permanent per-shot location, and makes a copy in an editorial dropbox directory, which the editors may move or otherwise organize it before bringing it into Avid.  We want to get rid of the space-wasting editor copy, and hoped to give them shortcuts to the video's permanent location.  But shortcuts, as described above, don't seem to work with the AMA Linking our editors use.

We could try doing it backwards, with the actual video file going to the editor and a shortcut to it remaining in the permanent location, but this raises problems if the editors move or rename the video.  A Windows system might be able to "heal" the shortcut and find the video in a new location when it is resolved, but we also need to access the permanent location from Linux/Python code.  There are routines to read and write shortcut files in Python, but resolving a broken shortcut wouldn't be possible.

Especially given that shortcuts appear to work as expected for Import, could their failure in AMA Linking be considered a bug?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller