Latest post Sun, Nov 10 2019 6:36 PM by tgzb. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 10 2019 1:37 PM

• tgzb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 23 2014
    • Posts 31
    • Points 425

copying only used AMA media

I have a project in one continent that should be shipped via the internet to another continent for color grading.

Obviously I need the best resolution possible, which is the original files shot in the camera. However, I need the transfer to be as fast as possibe, therefore only the media used should be moved.

How do I copy only the used media in a sequence, but from the AMA linked clips? It doesn't have to be only the used portions, the entire used file is OK, as long as all the not-used files are not included.

I tried Consolidate, but that only created new MXF files in the target destination, that's not what I need.

Any suggestions?

• Sun, Nov 10 2019 2:41 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,819
    • Points 45,745

Re: copying only used AMA media

One way would be to find out what grading system will be used.  If it is Resolve, make an AAF of your locked sequence using Link to Media.  Open this in Resolve (the free version should be fine).  Double check the sequence to make sure it is correct.  Then you can use Resolve's media management tool to copy just the clips needed.

This method could also work even if Resolve will not be used by the person grading your project.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Nov 10 2019 2:48 PM In reply to

• tgzb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 425

I can't transfer ALL the media files, if that was possible I would just send the Avid project.

I need to send only the used media files, and to that from Avid MC.

• Sun, Nov 10 2019 3:37 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,819
    • Points 45,745

tgzb:

I can't transfer ALL the media files, if that was possible I would just send the Avid project.

I need to send only the used media files, and to that from Avid MC.

You are missing my point.  The Resolve media management system does what you want.  It does what Avid does not.  It will let you copy JUST the files used in the sequence.

Download the Resolve program and read the documentation.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sun, Nov 10 2019 4:01 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,819
    • Points 45,745

tgzb:

I tried Consolidate, but that only created new MXF files in the target destination, that's not what I need.

Also, if you TRULY used Consolidate, then you have what you need.  Consolidate is a tool that takes a file that Avid can work with NATIVELY and unwraps the essence of the media from one file wrapper and  rewraps it as MXF in the Avid file structure.  And most high end grading tools can use that media.

It is important to understand the difference in Avid between Transcode and Consolidate.  Transcode can change codec type, raster size, compression level, etc.  Consolidate does not.  It only does two things.  1. Rewrap the media essence (as I wrote above) and 2. trim the length of the clips to have a certain amount of handle (if you desire).  There is NO quality change.

But not all media types can be Consolidated.  If you try to Consolidate a file type Avid does not support, it will tell you.

If your project is made entirely of media that Avid can Consolidate, that is the way to go.  Just confirm with your colorist that they can work with it.  Do a test.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sun, Nov 10 2019 6:11 PM In reply to

Copy the sequence to an empty bin.

right click in the bin and select bin display and tick show reference clips. This will populate the bin with a list of every clip used in the sequence.

Now right click a column heading in the bin and select Choose columns. go down the list and enable source file and source path

Now sort by source path.

You now have a list of every location and the files used in the sequence.

Manually collect those files into a new folder for transfer.

Running resilve locally on the same machine allows you to use the Resolve media collection function if you want to go that route.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, Nov 10 2019 6:35 PM In reply to

• tgzb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 425

Thanks Jef.

I did miss your point. It's not me who has to do it, but other people (in another continent). They'll not install Resolve and start using it (the just won't). The solution has to come from inside Avid MC.

We'll try consolidate and see how it goes. You are saying that no downgrade in quality is going to happen in this process, right?

I do think that it's a feature missing in Avid, the ability to move used media as is (same codec, same wrapper) to a target destination.

jef:

tgzb:

Also, if you TRULY used Consolidate, then you have what you need.  Consolidate is a tool that takes a file that Avid can work with NATIVELY and unwraps the essence of the media from one file wrapper and  rewraps it as MXF in the Avid file structure.  And most high end grading tools can use that media.

It is important to understand the difference in Avid between Transcode and Consolidate.  Transcode can change codec type, raster size, compression level, etc.  Consolidate does not.  It only does two things.  1. Rewrap the media essence (as I wrote above) and 2. trim the length of the clips to have a certain amount of handle (if you desire).  There is NO quality change.

But not all media types can be Consolidated.  If you try to Consolidate a file type Avid does not support, it will tell you.

If your project is made entirely of media that Avid can Consolidate, that is the way to go.  Just confirm with your colorist that they can work with it.  Do a test.

Jef

• Sun, Nov 10 2019 6:36 PM In reply to

• tgzb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 425

Thanks. If consolidate won't work I'll try to instruct the editors to use your method. 

Pat Horridge:

Copy the sequence to an empty bin.

right click in the bin and select bin display and tick show reference clips. This will populate the bin with a list of every clip used in the sequence.

Now right click a column heading in the bin and select Choose columns. go down the list and enable source file and source path

Now sort by source path.

You now have a list of every location and the files used in the sequence.

Manually collect those files into a new folder for transfer.

Running resilve locally on the same machine allows you to use the Resolve media collection function if you want to go that route.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller