Latest post Wed, Mar 25 2020 2:12 PM by Marianna. 82 replies.
Page 2 of 6 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 17 2019 11:22 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 14
    • Points 130

Re: macOS Catalina - Just Say NO!

With all the software I use, Media Composer is the only one straggling behind without compatibility on Catalina.

Some more transparency would be appreciated if it can't be done on a timely manner. “Coming Soon” or vague timelines make it frustrating to plan accordingly.

I can deal with unsupported systems, bugs, or components such as the old title tool not working. I can’t deal with messing with the software to launch it and not being able to import and export.

• Wed, Dec 18 2019 4:59 AM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 121
    • Points 1,400

dklein:

Andrew,

I believe she was referring to 2019 Mac Pros, not Catalina systems in general, as I specifically mentioned the Mac Pros that started shipping last week.

OK, I was also talking about the Mac Pros, not Catalina.

Avid MC v2019.12.0, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 1867... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 18 2019 2:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,996
    • Points 228,380
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

morsey:

With all the software I use, Media Composer is the only one straggling behind without compatibility on Catalina.

Some more transparency would be appreciated if it can't be done on a timely manner. “Coming Soon” or vague timelines make it frustrating to plan accordingly.

I can deal with unsupported systems, bugs, or components such as the old title tool not working. I can’t deal with messing with the software to launch it and not being able to import and export.

Morsey....

Apologies here... we start testing the new OS when it comes out as they make changes up to the last minute like we do with MC. Unfortunately, there were some issue relating to QT and 32 bit that caused it to fail.  wont even launch. We are working on it and expect a Q1 release of MC.  Sooner in Q1 than later.

Thats the best info I have.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 18 2019 3:40 PM In reply to

Marianna:
    there were some issue relating to QT and 32 bit that caused it to fail.

I thought 32-bit is out with Catalina?

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Gigabyte 2080Ti Auorus, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 18 2019 3:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,996
    • Points 228,380
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mkaan:

The point is it's not like Catalina (or even Catalina beta) has not been available for a very long time now. Blaming no support for Catalina on the late release of the nMP is ridiculous. They could've picked up a Macbook Pro as you said or just any other Apple computer that can run Catalina...

I dont think we blamed the new macs for the lack of catalina support..... Sibelius is compatible... PT will soon be compatible and MC will be in Q1 2020.  Long time availability....  sorry but it came out in Sept. 3 months ago.  Major revamp of 32 bit to 64 bit as most of the plug ins wont work etc.... and a QT issue.  So.... while it might seem EASY...... its not.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 18 2019 4:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,996
    • Points 228,380
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes it is but the code base and a few other components had to be tweaked.... also why we cant support 2018.x maintenance stream with Catalina as well

M

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 7:34 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2008
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 14
    • Points 235

I don't see your competitors blaming Catalina for the lack of their softwares not working with the OS.

Oh wait... they actually do work with Catalina. You can keep telling us it's only been 3 months, which on it's own should give you plenty of time to be up-to-date. Do the software engineers only work part time few days a week? It's not like Avid is a free product, right?

The point is beta started a long time ago, the core components did not change we all knew what's going to happen to 32bit in Catalina. Avid needs to work on their communication skill as pointed above. But not only with us, but also with Apple and their engineers so this won't happen in the future.

Avid is lagging behind. It's a shame. I don't think Avid can afford this with such a fierce competition. I will be voting with my wallet once my sub with Avid runs out.

it's ridiculous that I have this brand new shiny Mac Pro here but unable to launch Avid to actually work on projects.

Late 2019 Mac Pro 16c. DUAL Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 2 TB SSD Apple AB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:05 PM In reply to

Mark:
    I will be voting with my wallet once my sub with Avid runs out.

I'm sure you'll be missed.

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.8 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:10 PM In reply to

Avid has articulated in the past (in fact with every major MacOS release since 10.9 days if I remember correctly) that they only test the final released version.

Not sure why the acerbic tone towards Marianna. She posted all the necessary information in Oct 7th.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Gigabyte 2080Ti Auorus, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:18 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2008
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 14
    • Points 235

ripvanmarlowe:

Mark:
    I will be voting with my wallet once my sub with Avid runs out.

I'm sure you'll be missed.

I'm glad you seem to understand the point of my post! If you think losing yearly subs does not matter to a company which is already losing market share then you are delusional.

Late 2019 Mac Pro 16c. DUAL Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 2 TB SSD Apple AB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:30 PM In reply to

• René
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 12 2014
    • Denver Colorado
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I can't go backwards in Mac OS without resetting my entire harddrive.  Which I'm not going to do.  I asked for an extendtion on my lisence by two months and the answer was no.  They sold me a new license without any prossibility of extention when it failed. 

When will it be compatible?  Blaming it on the new hardware isn't a viable option because I don't have the newest hardware but the newest OS and yes, I am trapped in the same stuid loop. 

Do you have a huge team of developers working to resolve this?

René

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:39 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,535

Rene,

As a temp solution for machines that were accidentally upgraded to catalina, but can run High Sierra or Mojave, you can simply create a new APFS Container on your hard drive, install Mojave, and then dual boot to get you working for now. Again, a temp solution while we await Avid's release.

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:58 PM In reply to

• René
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 12 2014
    • Denver Colorado
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Ok, I'll try this. 

I have not had to be my own IT anything in house for about four years my software architect is gone.  Now that he is gone, its all on me. 

Thanks for your help.

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 9:30 PM In reply to

Mark:
    If you think losing yearly subs does not matter to a company which is already losing market share then you are delusional.

Delusional is buying expensive new hardware when a key piece of software you need to work is not supported on that hardware and then complaining when it doesn't work. It's common sense 101 to check compatibility before upgrading.

Everyone knows that it takes time for Avid to get qualified on new OS versions and everyone knows that they are very clear with their customers about when a piece of their software is qualified and when it is not. It's a recurring theme on these forums. 

If you needed MC to work, you should have held off on a new Mac until it did. I am in the same situation of being ready to buy new hardware now that the new Macbook 16s are out. But I spent some time, did some basic fact finding and will hold off until I am satisfied that I can continue to work uninterrupted.  Until that happens I will stick to Mojave. Your problems are self-inflicted and not the fault of Avid or it's hard working staff.

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.8 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 9:47 PM In reply to

• Cam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 3 2015
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

dklein:

Rene,

As a temp solution for machines that were accidentally upgraded to catalina, but can run High Sierra or Mojave, you can simply create a new APFS Container on your hard drive, install Mojave, and then dual boot to get you working for now. Again, a temp solution while we await Avid's release.

(Sorry - edited for clarification of my request)

Does anyone have a recommended and Avid-compliant tutorial for doing what dklein suggests above?  Thank you!

Page 2 of 6 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller