Latest post Fri, Jun 21 2019 7:02 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 12:15 AM

2019.x - New features require better documentation from Avid...

There's lots of talk and excitement around ACES and the 32 bit float pipeline, HDR support and 8k plus resolutions etc..  What I want to see from Avid now, is solid, technical whitepapers describing real world usage scenarios.  How to set up projects to take advantage of this, when should one be working in 32bit float, how to set up monitoring for HDR projects etc etc. There's nothing in the manual, and there's no tutorials other than the usual fluff for beginners.

There's no point in having all this stuff if there's no resources for it.  As with most things in Avid, I tend to learn as I go and as the situations arise, but with all this new colour science and frame rates, rasters, and delivery formats it is hard to find good technical information and it is the sort of thing where making a mistake early on could really screw you later.  I need to be able to get a heads up on best practices for this sort of thing and Avid does not currently provide anywhere near enough information on it. 

Can I humbly sugest that you urgenty produce detailed, technical documents which thoroughly explain these new features and show us mere mortals when and how to use them?  The forums are great for anecdotal, trial and error type fixes and always a great source of advice and infomation but I'm sure I can't be the only one out there who is desperate for a little more information from the source about these complex new technologies?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 3:41 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,570
    • Points 28,450
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: New features require better documentation from Avid...

Hi Andi,

I will raise this with the team.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 5:35 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,570
    • Points 28,450
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Andi.

We’ve got a tech paper that explains this and we will do more you can download here

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 7:02 PM In reply to

Excellent! Thanks Ralph, I'll have a read. Keep 'em coming!

Cheers,

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller