Latest post Sun, Jun 16 2019 1:00 PM by insch. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 11 2019 6:30 PM

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

Best EQ options for live performance edit

I am cutting a video of excerpts from live musical performances. There are 3 different performances, each with a L/R pair of mono audio tracks. I also have one additional mono track and one stereo track, so 7 mono and one stereo overall in the sequence. I need to EQ each performance separately. I don't want to EQ individual clips but whole tracks, often treating L/R pairs of tracks with the same EQ setting. I want something with much more control and finesse than the EQ Tool. am wondering if the best way forward here would be to use the Audio Track Effect Tool with Channel Strip or is there a better way? I've never used Channel Strip before and can't work out how to apply it to a pair of mono tracks at the same time and then treat both together. I work a lot in music and I'm very comfortable with audio plug-ins but not from within MC. I am trying to avoid having to mix this outside MC and then bring the audio back in. It's time I learnt more about how to work with audio effects within MC.

Any advice on the best way forward here?

Thanks, Phil

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 15 2019 2:02 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

Re: Best EQ options for live performance edit

Anybody out there have any experience of audio processing from within MC? I'd be grateful for any advice on what might be the best way for me to go here.... ganging L/R pairs of tracks and effectively EQ'ing them together etc. It's a nightmare trying to EQ each leg separately. Should I just do this outside MC?

Best, Phil

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 16 2019 4:40 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 262
    • Points 2,785

Are you able to modify your clip so that the mono tracks are changed to stereo (right click the clip in a bin: modify - set multi channel audio)

I’m often using the multi band parametric Eq as a track effect (in stereo) or if I want to copy the mono Eq to a different track, opt drag the Eq icon to the new track, to copy it over, ( but it’s much more efficient modifying to stereo first).

I’m using the waves multiband compressors more recently to tune Eq and have been getting better balanced mixes with them, with a multiband limiter on the master for final control.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 16 2019 10:00 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 178
    • Points 2,295

Hey Phil,

modifying the mono tracks, as Martin described, is definitely what I would begin with.

Since you said that there might be things that you don't know about audio processing within MC: Are you aware that you can apply plugins to your master output as well? I'm just pointing it out in case you feel that a combination of individual per-track-FX plus some kind of overall mastering could be useful to you.

• Sun, Jun 16 2019 12:58 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

Thank you Martin - that's really helpful. I thought there was an option to turn a l/r pair of tracks into stereo but didn't know where it was. Now I do - thanks for that. I've just turned all my mono pairs of tracks into stereo and that's going to make life a lot easier. Working with one leg of a stereo pair at a time isn't ideal and there's a certain amount of guesswork when doing EQ this way. Smile

• Sun, Jun 16 2019 1:00 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 337
    • Points 3,945

Cutyes:

Hey Phil,

modifying the mono tracks, as Martin described, is definitely what I would begin with.

Since you said that there might be things that you don't know about audio processing within MC: Are you aware that you can apply plugins to your master output as well? I'm just pointing it out in case you feel that a combination of individual per-track-FX plus some kind of overall mastering could be useful to you.

I was aware about adding processing to the Master track but thanks for sharing that. I now need to look at using my favourite EQ plug-in (that I use in a DAW) in MC, if I can. Thanks so much for your help. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller