Latest post Thu, Jul 2 2020 6:05 PM by morsey. 68 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 24 2020 9:55 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,417
    • Points 15,590

Re: Avid Titler+ - The good, the not-so-good and the ugly...

Hello,
    today I tried to create a final credit roll in T +.
    I must say that without success.
    Standard procedure:
    credit roll written in a text editor copied via the clipboard to the title of the tool, subsequent graphic editing of spaces, fonts, etc. - a different size for professions and a different size for the name ...
    Despite some illogicalities, I was able to partially edit the text, although the response to the required actions is desperately slow !!!
    What I'm not able to solve is editing the font in a roll outside the video zone!
    Purely theoretically, the text can be edited in the Effekt editor - Leyer - Caption, but it is inconsistent and behaves unpredictably. I didn't find out how to edit the font outside the displayed video zone, I didn't find the tutorials.
    I usually use Marque and sometimes Boris RED.
    T + is unusable for me at the moment.

Regards
    Vilem
    AVID MC2020.06, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 441.28, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 24 2020 5:11 PM In reply to

• Alvin_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 13 2014
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

I had the similar problems and ednded up creating rolling credits in photoshop - there are a couple of good tutorials on YouTube for that.

• Mon, May 25 2020 2:54 AM In reply to

Alvin_B:

I had the similar problems and ednded up creating rolling credits in photoshop - there are a couple of good tutorials on YouTube for that.

I mean what a sorry state of affairs. Avid really should be hanging their heads in shame with this. Over a year since it's been out and people are still having issues doing the most basic of tasks. Seriously what is going on out there? Are there really so few resources? I'm on 2018.12.8 and I'm just not comfortable upgrading until I stop seeing all these threads about all the bugs and issues in the newer versions.  Very glad I took advantage of that free Boris Title Studio offer a few weeks ago.  

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.8 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 25 2020 8:39 AM In reply to

It really has got much better since the version you are on. If you fancy a look at my guide, let me know.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, May 25 2020 10:40 AM In reply to

• Simon_h
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 20 2011
    • Cambridge, UK
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,025

Roger it's great that you've made a guide.  I'm another one who's gone the Photoshop route, so I just had another go with Titler+ just to check and it's still as awkward as ever.  Even just selecting text is ridiculously hit and miss - I haven't got time to mess around working out how to work some quirkily(badly?) designed plug-in. 

I can go into almost any new programme and master the basics without referring to the manual.   There's something inherently ridiculous about Titler+.   But more importantly, its what it says about Avids attitude to it's paying users. I have gone through years of small but vaguely useful improvements to Avid.   This was the promise of a major new tool that would make a real difference to my editing.  And this is what we get?

The level of complexity and illogicality of this software is so ridiculous it's crazy that Avid not only hyped it up for nearly a year, but then actually saw it as something fit to release.  And with several updates since it launched I, for one, see no improvements - and I'm not prepared to dig around to find them.

Added to this, NOBODY from Avid has responded in any meaningful way to the confusion and dissatisfaction, not one tutorial has come out from Avid (although the user manual has been expanded somewhat) and Avid continues to just sit there and watch while we mugs continue to pay. We can only guess what's going on behind the scenes, but as an Avid user of 15 years this is enough to make me want to ditch Avid and go to Premiere, simply because of the corporate arrogance of it all. And I would tomorrow if it wasn't for the learning curve and the archived Avid projects I need to have access to. 

AVID CAN YOU HEAR US????     IS THERE ANYBODY AT HOME?

AVID 2019.12 on HP Z820 MT XEON, 2GhZ, 32GB, Windows 10, Nvidia Quadro 2000, Crucial SSD Hard Drive with several WD Blacks for media. TMPGEnc 7 for encoding... [view my complete system specs]

New Template
  • Mon, May 25 2020 2:23 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 476
    • Points 5,645

The best titler I repeatedly used with-in an editor was Inscriber Title Motion. That is a a shame about the Free/donation based packager as part of Boris FX Title Studio. I did not scarcely know this promotion was going on, I signed up for Boris and Accusonus before based on used products I had in the past. I had no newsletter etc with any notification.I tried using the new Avis Titler, but still have a bug logged with Avid Tech Support which is still being worked on months later. The issue on Mac OSX, if I have Fonts which has a family, only the first font in the family is able to be used with-in Avid Titler+.

No viable option to merely choose the other fonts in the family set.If I instantly open the old Avid Titler the fonts work as expected and I can carefully choose the other fonts from that family. I have the New Blue Titler Pro 4, but to upgrade to the latest version 7 is massively expensive for basic title which I need.I had previously looked at Boris Title Studio, but didn't want to be stuck doggedly into the same route, where you are always upgrading to stay current with you Avi Media Composer software and any bugs.

I rather would create all the titles native with-in Avid, but fundamental things like subtly shifting the base line of one letter in a world to align it a particular way is not possible.

It would be maybe a faster development option if Avid Titler+ was stand alone as an install option, as we are invariably having to wait for each Avid Media Composer release for additional functions to become available/bug fix. if Avid are genuinely having a hard time, egtting a titler to work, maybe they should of continued regardless the agreement so if you have perputal/own media Composer or on a subscription you have access to new Blue Titler Pro. As the Avid Titler+ is clunky and frustrating to intentionally use. Straightforward things, universally like aligning to vertical/horizontal centre is not available in Avid Titler+ as well as font families.

Thanks, Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 25 2020 4:51 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,005

Leo Baker:

The best titler I repeatedly used with-in an editor was Inscriber Title Motion.

+1

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 25 2020 5:54 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 412
    • Points 5,605

Inscriber used to work with AVX1 but GVG didn't port to avx2 so it died. But yes indeed back in 1997 we chose discreet edit based on the character generator, which was sorly lacking in avid and still is today. TP is a mess and ditto for T+. Avid needs to buy the code to Inscriber and some of their engineers, this is ridiculous. I find Boris red to be my titler over all the others I've wasted thousands on like Type Deko and Marquis. 

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 500GB SSD, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC2019, Sapphire2019, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Mon, May 25 2020 7:20 PM In reply to

Yes - there are many bizarre features and examples of weird terminology in T+ but I must say that I have had helpful feedback from one Avid staffer ( I won't mention her name here) and as the versions have moved on, where we are now (2020.4), T+ is fairly usable. The daft thing was that I'd come to love NewBlue Titler just as Avid pulled the free plugin. I'd also got to love Marquee (initially a steep learning curve) to the point where I ran Marquee training sessions for Avid clients. Marquee, if it could be pushed up beyond full HD, would be what Avid should be aiming for. The one thing that screwed me when T+ arrived was that in Title Tool and other apps, hitting 'Escape' took you from text editing mode to object selection mode. But Avid engineers insisted that T+ should all work in the Effect Editor monitor. What happens if you hit 'Esc'? Boom! You are back in the Source Monitor Angry. I think the call was 'full integration'. Who cares? The old TT and Marquee made new clips which you had to add to a sequence. No problem. T+ is different but I have to think too much and can't work quickly. But it does work. Simon ... if you'd like my useful guide, email rogershuff@yahoo.co.uk.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Tue, May 26 2020 12:37 AM In reply to

• hartfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,570

Simon_h:
    Roger it's great that you've made a guide.
    Yes, I profited from Roger's generosity. But since New Blue's T7 is working well with my MC 2018.12.8, I'm not using T+ except for one project. By the time I get to 2020, they will probably have the interface streamlined?!!

Joyce

MC 2018.12.3 - HP Z440: Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 3.50GHz 15MB 2133 6C CPU; G8U34AV 32GB DDR4-2133 (4x8GB) RegRAM; NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4GB DL-DVI(I)+2xDP 1st... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 26 2020 12:08 PM In reply to

• Film35HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 26 2014
    • Posts 12
    • Points 110

In RE: TITLER PRO 7

Hello Joyce.

I am in Hollywood and working closely with the actual Designer/Coders and support team at NewBlueFX – since Version 3 – to squat bugs and what I consider design flaws that slow down the process.

We are having extreme problems with Titler Pro 7 since its release, and are testing a new Beta.  I do not speak on their behalf – just trying to help them be more cognizant of removing impeding workflow processes when designing their software, and addressing their bugs.

A very serious bug shows up when opening PAST titles – especially from Version 6.  If we are in a new, virgin Avid MC project (2018.12.10) and generating new, virgin titles ONLY within TP7, we don't have the crashes.  But if we try to open/edit TP6, during the new, forced must-save process in TP7, it crashes Avid every time.  What is your experience?

If you have a moment, you may want to scroll up here and see some of the scenarios I raise with TP6 and TP7 (in the Mac plug-in version for Avid MC).

Are you on Windows or Mac OS, and which version? (I see your system specs, but am unsure if you are using TP7 on that actual system).

Thank you for your valuable time,

-keoni.

• Sat, Jun 20 2020 7:19 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 476
    • Points 5,645

So who thinks it might be better for the Avid Titler+ Tool to be de-coupled from Avid Media Composer? So that way rather then waiting for new title features to be made avaiable in each new release of Media Composer. If the softare w3as stand alone, it could be faster to develop and obviosuly from Avid's angle, they might not wnat to give away a free "title tool" so it might have to be attatched to the software activation to work like you would activate the software.

As it's not much on the titler front in terms of options for Avid. Seems just Boris Title Studio and New Blue Titler Pro. i would much prefer a robust, title tool from Avid as that way they will of coded it so it works optimum. I do think Inscriber Title Motion, if this was updated for Avid's Titler and engine, it would be the most powerful, but think develiopment costs, could easiuly trickle down to users just buying New Blue Titler Pro or Boris Title Studio. Although they seem very expensiove for the capabilites that many people might need some simple titles to be generated. 

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 20 2020 7:43 PM In reply to

Interesting thought. In my view, decoupling it from the Effect Editor until the time came to animate would help (as with the old TT and Marquee (I mourn for Marquee whch, once learned, was bloody powerful)). As for New Blue - I'd just got to the stage of actually liking it and using its features when the free/included version was pulled. I'd love to know whether Avid programmed T+ from scratch or bought in some half-baked application and tried to make it work. It does work but it is not (sorry, NOT) very intuitive. And who thought that a good term for adjusting X and Y position was "Translate"? I work with words in another sphere and adjustment is not translation!

• Sat, Jun 20 2020 8:10 PM In reply to

• Film35HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 110

Cheers, Leo.

I'm the one in Hollywood who wrote the long, recent issues on both NewBlue FX's TITLER PRO 6 (discontinued), 7 (flawed workflow) and Avid's Titler+ "Font > Leading" bug (Mac, v 2018.12.11 [Apr 2020 release]).

Your point about *great* titling options for Avid MC are on the nose: We don't want to round trip to "manual" Dynamic (Motion) Graphics like AfterEffects – and so Boris's BCC TITLE STUDIO, AVID's own TITLER+ and NewBlue's TP is what we are left with.

There is logic with your query about "de-coupling" the TITLE module, but technically, that is already a separate module and easily 'muxed' (compiled) into any .dot release version.  It is only when it interacts with other modules that issues come-up, but it has to do that whether "embedded" in the master NLE Media Composer or not.

HOWEVER, my objection to making the Avid Titler+ a separate, EFFECT PLUG-IN would be the INSTANT pop-up and get right to work on a title that is apparent with Avid's own TITLER+ or former, basic TITLER.  Don't think just a few titles for a 1-hour program, but assume you have a music show that needs simple lyrics to appear and change every 3 seconds.  Now try and open/edit a PLUG-IN for each one to do timing corrections/trims, fix typos, etc.  EACH addtiional MOUSE NAVIGATION roll/move/position, CLICK/DOUBLE-CLICK/RIGHT-CLICK, window open, just to GET to the point where you can position the cursor to fix the typo on the word "THH" to correct it to "THE" is time, time, time and clicks/rolls.  Multiply by 900x per day.

I've just complained (again) to the direct, software coders at NewBlue FX about first launching TITLER PRO 6 or 7 – where you can wait 1-3 minutes (OR MORE!) for the module to launch for the FIRST TIME in each Avid session.  Their "SPLASH SCREEN" showing the version won't show until the last few seconds of when TP is ready, and so its purpose of telling you "WAIT... I'm loading, and here's the version/build # of this installed version' isn't even useful, because the SPLASH will appear for 2 seconds and go away, going into title COMPOSE/EDIT mode.  We all know the purple AVID MC SPLASH SCREEN appears almost instantly and the bottom updates you on WHAT Avid is doing at the moment (so you don't think the program crashed, making you wait for nothing). 

My exact quote to NewBlue was, that like BORIS's BCC – which you see on-boarding AVX modules DURING the Avid MC boot 'on-boarding' process, NewBlue's TITLER PRO 6 and 7 should take 30 seconds and do its ON-BOARD loading at that time in the Avid boot process – most of us leave our Avid's up 24/7 or boot-up only at the start of shift, while we're grabbing coffeee, so that 30-seconds at the start of a shift is neglible compared to wasting time when we are mid-day and notice a TYPO on Day-of-Air material that has to be rendered/exported, pronto.

So, bottom line – if Avid can make TITLER+ *POP UP INSTANTLY* (under 1 second) in just ONE click getting me to my title for COMPOSE/EDIT, THAT is all I would care about in making it embedded in the main NLE vs. an external module EFX PLUG-IN.

:)

• Sat, Jun 20 2020 8:19 PM In reply to

• Film35HD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 110

Cheers, Roger.

I enjoy your Posts on the Avid L-2.

Agree on "X/Y POSITION," but I know that TRANSLATE is a 1970's USA holdover from one of the greatest TV inventions from 1977~1981: the DVE (Vital Industries' SqueeZoom, NEC Japan's DVE and Ampex's Z-axis bow with ADO: Ampex Digital Optics). 

Titling Character Generators were of only 2 types in the 1970s: Cheap $5,000 KNOX (very limited and 'ugly' quality type); mid-range Quantas, and the defacto best, Chyron IV ($90,000; like spending $353,000 today) and the CBS Labs competitor Thomson-CSF Vidifont IV ($70,000).  The late 70's would bring Harvey Dubner's CBG-2, which made animating and moving text around pretty amazing.

Once we could feed DVE's a KEY signal ('Alpha' today) so manipulated video would not HAVE to be bounded in a SQUARE RECTANGULAR BOX when squeezed back or flipped, "TRANSLATE" – or key-framing a POSITION move to do animations were common.

Technically, TITLER+ should still call the X/Y POSItion and the actual KEYFRAMING of any movement TRANSLATE or SOURCE TRANSLATE.  Other titling programs (like Pinnacle's DEKO, which Avid eventually acquired) also used "TRANSLATE."

I'm the one in Hollywood who wrote the long, recent issues on both NewBlue FX's TITLER PRO 6 (discontinued), 7 (flawed workflow) and Avid's Titler+ "Font > Leading" bug (Mac, v 2018.12.11 [Apr 2020 release]).

Page 4 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller