Latest post Tue, Nov 21 2017 9:54 PM by cryptoshane. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 21 2017 9:54 PM

Sony A7Rii S-log, subclibs, transcoding and workflow

Hi all, I've done my due diligance and searched for advice on this one but seem to have come up blank (actually with more questions)....

So, as per the title, using a Sony A7Rii, shooting with s-log, 4k, using xavc-s format (8.9.2 does generic AMA Link finally!).  Love the camera and image quality (despite only being 8 bit etc), but just a little confused about best practice. 

So i have narrowed it down to 2 possible options;

A - Everything in Avid.  AMA Link, subclip, transcode, edit, apply LUT, grade. (projects are 1080 for the most part, but shooting in 4K cause I'm a photographer and I figure shoot in the most redundent way possible).  

The issue I have is even though it links, it doesn't seem to allow for consolidate, only transcode (so am I loosing quality?).  Also there seems to be a lot of media all over the place when I do this....?  The original clips, the sub-clips, the transcoded original clips, and the transcoded sub-clips.... 

B - IO to Avid+. Browse, sub-clip and transcode in Catalyst Prepare, edit in Avid, grade in Resolve etc.

My question with this method is when to apply the LUT, and, again, am I loosing quality?

Thanks for reading - pointing to posts or providing any advice would be much appreciated.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller