Latest post Mon, Feb 15 2021 9:40 AM by ouzon. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 13 2017 6:32 PM

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 494
    • Points 5,805

Sound Devices Autosync rack Names not shown in Timeline

Does nayone know how to get Track names from Sound Devices such as Mix-Pre6 to display on the Avid Media Composer on the timeline.

When I import the audio files AMA or file import I see in the bin metadata the track names, such as

Stereo Mix, Boom, LAV 1, LAV 2, LAV 3 for the Audio WAV file.

When I then autosync the timecoded audio to the video clip, I just get in the timeoline display such as capture 013 taken from the video clip synced.

Rather then the timeline showing me my track names? I clciked the burger menu on the timline and toggled throug hthe clip text but can't see the meta data of the tracks name which would make it so much easier.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 13 2017 7:07 PM In reply to

Re: Sound Devices Autosync rack Names not shown in Timeline

Longstanding request, AFAIK.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 14 2017 12:43 AM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 494
    • Points 5,805

Okay thanks hopefully Avid can add this into the be t version as I'm sure many other people would require the same. 

Thanks 

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 21 2017 1:43 AM In reply to

• bannerman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Canada
    • Posts 65
    • Points 840

I've been working on this exact problem last couple days. Here is my less-than-ideal workaround:

I am using Sound Devices - Wave Agent (free) to split the BWF file into individual files for each track.

Then I name those individual files with help names.ex:
    [reel####]-[T##]-[boom]
    [reel####]-[T##]-[john]
    etc.

Then import them into avid (without detecting BWF groups - see audio import settings)

sync and subclip

change clip-text to include original file name.

I have found that if the original BWF file had anything specified for REEL in it's metadata, Avid will display this instead of the original file name. Which doesn't help because it is the same for all tracks in the BWF. So I use Wave Agent to clear that field before splitting out.

I use Bulk Rename Utility (http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk) to rename all the split out files. Makes it a bit faster.

All of this is based on a discussion here: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/89373/722317.aspx

It's a bit of extra work. But it just makes it a lot easier in the edit when you have a lot of audio tracks.

But I do wish avid would give us some other options. This approach is a bit intense.

EDIT:: I have been told this approach may not be optimal for Protools later on in post if you want to have access to audio tracks that have not been included in the edit, but were part of the original BWFs.

• Mon, Feb 15 2021 9:40 AM In reply to

• ouzon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 15 2021
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Did you find any other solutions ? 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller