Latest post Sat, Jun 24 2017 2:48 AM by Roach13. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 24 2017 2:48 AM

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,655

Raid 10 Raid 50 something else? Whats the best way to back up your Raid

I am just going through my first ever raid failure and even though I did back up critical files I did have to get the Raid recovered to get back some older footage that I should have already puit to my LTO tapes.

So after this scenario and a truck load of expense I'm torn on how I want to set up my Raid. One thing I do know is that from now on I wll have my Main Raid, Back up Raid and a third backup off site. My question is what is teh best way to back up the raid.

My data recovery guy is suggesting Raid 6 ( I had 5) on my main raid which I completely understand but I want to keep as much speed as possible and after suffering the downtime recently I want to make sure I have a hot backup ready to go if my Raid were to fail.

My thought is to run my main Raid in Raid 0 as well as my Backup Raid and then Raid them together in Raid 1. Am I crazy to think this would work or is this a Raid 10?

My main concern is to have a duplicat of my main raid ready to go if it fails and if I'm going to have a duplicate ready to go I figure why not get the most speed I can out of the Raid. Maybe I just like living on the edge. Of course both Raids will be backed up regularily to my 3rd back up raid.

This leads me to my last question. Do you use any software to automatically back up your raid to another raid or drive? If I don't go Raid 1 I'd like a solution where a program is constantly backing up my Raid for me.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

Cheers,

John

MacPro Late 2013 OSX 10.10.5 Avid MC 8.9.2 Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller