Latest post Fri, Mar 3 2017 3:31 AM by Mondo. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 20 2017 9:56 AM

• Rvdhammen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 16 2008
    • Posts 30
    • Points 385

Quicktime Reference error using network

I seem to be running into an error when creating a QT reference on my 'work station' and then trying to render it on my server/render station. The error is created by OSx but since the QT ref is created by Avid I'm hoping someone has an answer here.

So here's the setup: I'm running Media Composer 8.7.2 on my 'work station' This is an iMac 3,2 i5 with 16 GB RAM running OSx 10.11.6. My media is on my server: an older MacPro running 10.11.6 as well.

Now what I'm trying to do is create a QT Ref on my work station, save this to the server and start rendering the Ref on the server (using Compressor, Squeeze, MPEG Streamclip, whatever..). Now when I'm on my server and try to import the Ref into a program that will let me render the file I get an error saying "There was a problem connecting to the server - This file server is availiable on your computer. Acces the volumes and files locally." (OSx error). This error keeps coming back until I've quit the application I want to use to render the file. 

When I try to import the Ref into a render app on my work station everything works fine. I've tried saving the Ref to both the work station (and acces it through the network on my server) and the server itself. So, to me, it seems that the Ref has some communication error with the Media Files. As if the server is trying to re-create the path to the files from my work station and thus creates an error because it's trying to acces itself via the network.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions?

MC 8.8 - OS X 10.11.6 - 3,2 GHz Intel i5 - 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Aja T-Tap [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 22 2017 5:49 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Re: Quicktime Reference error using network

for network rendering of QT Ref to work correctly you will first:

Have to create shares for all your media drives that the target machine can see.

Map the network shares to the target machine.

Tick the create network shares in the QT Ref dialogue options box - that ensures that QTRef writes the full network path to the ref. 

Open the file up on the target machine and check that it opens correctly. The problem is Avid doesn't control your network heirarchy. Windows refers to mapped shares via drive letters or sometimes SMB paths while Mac refers to them via SMB or AFP paths. Mac has also broken SMB in its latest OS's so it only works with the latest version and not legacy SMB devices.

I would not normally try to do this. I think it is quicker to map your media drive to the server, install AMC on the server and then open your project from there, make sure all your media links and export the QTRef directly to the watch folder on the server. This will work and takes the pain away.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Feb 28 2017 6:19 PM In reply to

• Rvdhammen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 385

Thing is I have only 1 MC license atm and don't feel like buying a license just so the server can run MC for renders.

I'll look into this in the morning, at first it seemed that ticking the 'create network shares' would be the solution but that didn't solve it. I'll have to go through it once again step by step but I think I've setup the network and shares/folder correctly.

On my server I have a harddisk for the media (the Avid MediaFiles>MXF etc folder is in the root of this harddisk). I have shared that harddisk using smb (there might be windows computers connecting to the same network later). My work computer/target machine connects to the media drive via the network and I've set MC to Alldrives_1 so it actually sees the MediaFiles folder. I know this is working since I've been editing this way for a while :)

The broken smb might be a thing, I'll try to connect via afp as well. 

edit - some words

MC 8.8 - OS X 10.11.6 - 3,2 GHz Intel i5 - 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Aja T-Tap [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 28 2017 10:50 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

The problem probably is that these drives are seen by the target reference machine as local drives not network drives - so no matter what you do the paths won't match. You shouldn't have to buy another licence. Just use your existing licence temporarily on the other machine to open up your project then transfer it back. I have a dongle so it is no problem for me to do something like that.

The original licence terms for the subscription version of MC did claim that it could only be installed on a single machine (which is one primary reason I stuck with the annual fee version), but since then I've seen numerous posts, even from Marianna, claiming the licence is portable. I'm not sure - no one will clarify.

This is where ISIS and other fiber and iSCSI solutions just "work" as opposed to SMB sharing of media.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Mar 2 2017 7:40 PM In reply to

• Rvdhammen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 385

It is possible to switch between machines with a subscription (quite easily actually). Guess I'll do that for now until a second license becomes a must :)

Thanks for the help.

• Fri, Mar 3 2017 3:31 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Rvdhammen:

It is possible to switch between machines with a subscription (quite easily actually). Guess I'll do that for now until a second license becomes a must :)

Thanks for the help.

Yes I know its possible - the question really is "Is it contravening the licensing provisions of the software?" - as long as Avid don't actually care it would seem OK to do.

John

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller