Latest post Sun, Nov 19 2017 3:35 PM by DStone. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 17 2017 11:50 PM

• Johnny Diesel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 61
    • Points 650

Quicktime: what to do?

Hi. I've been away for a while but last I checked. it was recomended to uninstall QT. I have checked the article here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/How_To/QuickTime-Support-and-Security-on-Windows.

This is from a few months back, I can't seem to find any more info and I am not sure if there is another solution, perhaps included in the latest install files.

Thanks!

Homebuilt: Win 10 on Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1, Xeon E5-1650 v3 at 3.5 GHZ 6-core, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K. Canopus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:59 AM In reply to

Re: Quicktime: what to do?

This from the just released MC 8.7.2 readme.

Avid Generic Plug-in
    Avid is currently working to remove dependencies on QuickTime libraries which are no longer
    supported by Apple. In our first step to replace QuickTime, we are including the Avid Generic plugin
    that natively supports the following formats for linking and playing:

• MJPEG/Video Only - .mov container

• MJPEG/PCM Audio - .mov container

• JPEG - .jpg files

• PCM Audio only files - .mov container

Note: By default, QuickTime will continue to be used for these formats. In order to use this plug-in
    right-click in the Source Browser Plug-in column and select Link with Avid Generic.

For more information on QuickTime support, see http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/

QuickTime-Support-and-Security-on-Windows. 

• Mon, May 29 2017 3:04 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,368
    • Points 53,960

I see that a Quicktime version is still listed on the 8.8 version matrix. What is the recommended action for this MC version? Remove or allow to remain?

Also noted that Win 10 is not listed on the recommended Quadro driver release:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/111408/en-us

QUADRO DESKTOP/QUADRO NOTEBOOK DRIVER RELEASE 375

Version: R375 U2 (375.86)  WHQL

Release Date: 2016.11.16

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit

Language: English (US)

File Size: 256.15 MB

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, May 29 2017 5:52 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,754
    • Points 62,000

Regarding QuickTime - I am still using QT 7.7.9 but I uninstalled it and installed again without the actual player (to avoid the security hole more or less). You need QuickTime to use some of the functionality of Media Composer. Hopefully Avid will chime-in here if they feel that other advice is warranted.

Regarding your Quadro driver version...

How about here

The driver pacakge is actually larger as well - weird

Version: R375 U2 (375.86)  WHQL
    Release Date: 2016.11.16
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Language: English (US)
    File Size:

261.55 MB

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2020.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, May 29 2017 5:57 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,368
    • Points 53,960

Yes I noticed that. I had Clicked on the link in the Avid Matrix grid and was directed to the Win 7/8 driver.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:14 PM In reply to

• Weibo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 10 2015
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

AndrewAction:

This from the just released MC 8.7.2 readme.

Avid Generic Plug-in
    Avid is currently working to remove dependencies on QuickTime libraries which are no longer
    supported by Apple. In our first step to replace QuickTime, we are including the Avid Generic plugin
    that natively supports the following formats for linking and playing:

• MJPEG/Video Only - .mov container

• MJPEG/PCM Audio - .mov container

• JPEG - .jpg files

• PCM Audio only files - .mov container

Note: By default, QuickTime will continue to be used for these formats. In order to use this plug-in
    right-click in the Source Browser Plug-in column and select Link with Avid Generic.

For more information on QuickTime support, see http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/

QuickTime-Support-and-Security-on-Windows. 

Hi, thank you for you explaination. But I found a problem recently. I updated MC two days ago and then I found I cannot export my seq to a h264 Mov file. It says "an audio mixdown cannot be performed because the selected tracks contains MP2 audio". Then I finally found  that it is the way how the sources were linked in that affects the audio. (youtube downloaded H264 mp4 files.) It seems that the default plugin for a h264 file is the "Avid Generic Plug-in" instead of "QuickTime" as it was. I have to change the plug-in in source browser manually to link them so that I can export sequence that contains AMA files. (Cannot use OPT+drag to link which is fast). Is there a way I can change the default plug-in for a specific codec? And will Avid cancle the quicktime plugin in the future? If so, what am I suppose to do to deal with the problem? Thank you very much!

• Sun, Nov 19 2017 3:35 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,774
    • Points 48,230
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Quicktime is no longer being developed, and will be obsoleted. Avid is adding CODECs to the generic plug-in (it now supports MP4 formats as well). Eventually everything that was done in QT will have to be replicated (and that's quite a lot of work). Of course, MP2 (and now MP3) audio is no longer a CODEC of choice as there are better ones out there (MP3 is no longer being developed and will also ulimately be obsoleted).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller