Latest post Fri, Dec 9 2016 8:53 PM by Pat Horridge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 19 2016 10:26 PM

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,655

MC8 Resolve Roundtrip and then changes

HI,

I have been bangng my head against the wall lately trying ot get a MC8 Resolve roundtriop workflow that would work. I found this blog http://www.avidblogs.com/use-avid-media-composer-default-metadata-reconform-davinci-resolve-renders/ which I absolutely loved and it worked great. Except for the relinking part.

I got around that by exporting the AAF out of resolve after importing the .mdb file with the new clips.

However my big question is, What do I do now if my client wants to do a recut? because you know that's going to happen.

I can'y even trim the clips in the aaf's timeline so any changes would mean starting the whole process over again. Or is there something I can do to fix this?

Any help is much appreciated

MacPro Late 2013 OSX 10.10.5 Avid MC 8.9.2 Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 20 2016 1:19 AM In reply to

Re: MC8 Resolve Roundtrip and then changes

The color correction phase is typically the last phase...after picture lock. But I'm sure you know this. If, however, editing changes are wanted, then you need to redo the section being changed.  You can either just export the section that was changed and redo that, and send it back, patch it up in Avid.  Or, you can send the whole thing ofter, use an option in Resolve called COLOR TRACE (I just learned about this, reading up on an issue I need solved)...to transfer the grade from one project to another...all the grades would come over to the new project, and anything new will have to be done. You'll have to read up on that one.  But that's my first suggestion.  

I know that COLOR (with FCP) had a way to CONFORM the new cut...the changes...to your existing grade. Just export another XML with the changes, and then color would keep everything that didn't change, and add the changes. I'd look to see if Resolve has an option like that. That's what the audio guys will be doing....

• Tue, Sep 20 2016 7:03 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,860

I've been using this workflow as decribed by Scott Freeman that does not involve the use of any AAF files from Resolve.

http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-roundtrip-davinci-resolve-to-avid-media-composer-tutorial/

It's the complete roundrip and has worked for me 100% every-single-time. Relinking is a breeze. A few months ago I was working on a large project and with just a couple of clicks on the mouse instantly and flawlessly relinked 45 different sequences.

Re-grades are easy enough. Just re-render the new grade over the top of the old one, update Avid by dragging the modified mda file into the same bin and follow the same re-linking procedure. Voila - the new grade is included in the sequence.

The trick is to follow the instructions to the letter. After a few projects the workflow becomes automatic. If something does not work for some reason, go back and check your steps and you will find that you've most likely made a mistake or forgotten a step. The process works . . .

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 20 2016 5:39 PM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,655

Thanks guys. Yeah I get that color should be the last things that I do but you know clients, there's always changes and alot want to see it "Finished" before making tehir final changes.

oze- I tried the workflow you mentioned before with little success. There are a lot of steps so I'm sure I missed something along the way.

However I just want to clarify if I were to make changes to teh edit in after the coloring is done how does this method help me in Davinci? Would I have to start the process over again so that Davinci has a new aaf to go from?

MacPro Late 2013 OSX 10.10.5 Avid MC 8.9.2 Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 20 2016 5:45 PM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,655

Thanks for teh COLOR TRACE idea Shane. That looks like it might help do the trick definitely worth trying out

• Tue, Sep 20 2016 5:50 PM In reply to

Resolve is a great editor in it's own right. So if the client has changes, you can make them in there if you want. Just add all the media to the MEDIA POOL and there you go.  BUT, you'll have to export another reference for audio mix, not sure how solid that is on Resolve....

• Wed, Sep 21 2016 12:51 PM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,860

Hey Roach13, there looks like a lot of steps in that blog, but once you break it down and do it a few times it's a snap - and I swear, it really does work everytime.

If you make editorial changes, you do have to be smart about how you get those changes into Resolve. If your changes are minor, say just adding a few shots with the bulk of the material as is, then I usually move those scenes to another track then make a selective (Track X only) AAF based only on those new scenes. Grade them. Output them to the same MXF folder. Re-link them using the same process. They should then just be added to the existing bin of graded shots and then you can either select and over cut them manually, or use the specified re-link process. Much of the time I do 25 or 50 frame handles on everything so I have some trims and if you only have a couple of shots, then do it manually.

If you have extensive revisions and depending on the complexity of the sequence, you can re-grade everything. This should be able to be done pretty quickly if you have accuarately saved all your grades in Resolve and can re-apply them to many of the shots that haven't changed. Then delete your original grades, re-render all and re-link.

Take a little time to do some experimenting and familairise yourself with the process and it will pay BIG dividends. We're a busy post house with 6 avids on an ISIS and this has become our standard workflow now. It's given us great confidence to be able to grade and conform and turn around large projects quickly and accurately everytime.

BestSmile

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 9 2016 6:50 PM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,655

Thanks oze,

I have gone through the blog with a bit more time and attention and it did work marvelously and is my go to now. Still stuck though on whether to do this on bigger projects where there might be more changes thus forcing a new AAF and a headache doing patch work.

Do you have a workflow for how you are saving the grades to reapply to the new AAF? The only way I have found is to save snapshots of each one or to copy paste form sequence ot sequence but i wouldn't say either of those are great methods and pretty time consuming not to mention monotonous.

• Fri, Dec 9 2016 8:53 PM In reply to

The fact of the matter is that round tripping isn't a great workflow. You have to balance what you gain (in agreat grading tool) against what you lose or risk in the round trip process.

For well managed non time critical jobs the round trip overhead is small and manageable. But if you are working on jobs that need to bounce around between grade and online its a royal headache and time sucker.

After the first main round trip I'd always be looking at patch returns. Smalls ections that overlap with unchanged content each side. Yes its cutting and pasting sections of sequences but thats the price you pay when you leave Avid land.

For roundtripping to be easy you need to have the offline locked. Creative editing is done. The online needs to be locked and then it goes to grade. The return back is just for packaging and output. If at that last stage you are still oflline editing its notr the right workflow.

Sadly I see more and more finsihed programs that have gone via resolve to the delight of all to then need a fix or a change that I've been able to do in Avid to match the resolve grade. Yup a lot of time and cost to produce what MC could have done.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller