Latest post Fri, Mar 18 2016 6:42 PM by AndrewAction. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 18 2016 12:12 PM

• LiamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 18 2016
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Video Mixdown with Alpha?

I've created an effect in the timeline which uses nine video tracks (V2 - V10), so it's pretty choppy when playing back. Under these tracks (in V1) is the video this effect is playing over, so to try and make this section of the timeline playable in real time, I switched V1 off and went to do a video mixdown of tracks V2 - V10, assuming this would create transparency underneath them...

Pretty surprised to find out that video mixdown doesn't support alpha channels, it just flattens it all out... An equivalent feature in another editor I use (Edius 8) does support this kind of thing.

Just an idea... unless it's a feature buried elsewhere in Avid?

I'm using version 8.

(Note, I did try a luma key on the mixed down video, but it absorbed the shadows on the text within the effect)

• Fri, Mar 18 2016 6:42 PM In reply to

Re: Video Mixdown with Alpha?

Collapse maybe what you want. From MC's help (F1 when using MC on a PC) using Collapse to search:

The Collapse feature lets you build your effect at the topmost level. When you are finished, you collapse the layers automatically into one Submaster effect. This is useful for simplifying a sequence with complex compositing. After you collapse a complex composite, you can easily add transition effects to the start and end of the resulting Submaster effect.
      *You can also use the Collapse feature to simplify the deletion of multilayer segment effects. After collapsing the effects, you can select the resulting segment and press the Delete key twice to delete the effect and all the layers. After your Avid editing application collapses tracks into a Submaster effect, it recognizes a Submaster effect as a multilayer effect instead of a single-layer effect. This lets you add chroma keys and other multilayer effects to the nested tracks within a Submaster effect.

*You can drag “two-channel” effects (such as chroma keys) onto Submaster effects if the Submaster segment contains two or more nested tracks. This is useful after performing a Collapse operation to composite the new Submaster effect over another background. 

Collapse is not a function I have used for years and I seem to remember there were some limitations. So as usual I recommend duplicating and appropriately naming your sequence before you use Collapse as a backup (safety net) should you need to easily recreate the  9 separate layers.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller