Latest post Sun, Jan 17 2016 1:19 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 16 2016 11:51 AM

• James349
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 9 2014
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Relinking To New Transcodes

Hi,

I have a project where all of the original footage is stored on one hard drive, which has then been transcoded to another hard drive to edit on. The hard drive with the transcodes on has now broken.

I want to get that footage back now and relink it to the clips I have already been editing with. I assume that I should retranscode the original files, but is there anything specific about the way I need to do it so that they will relink properly?

Thanks in advance,

James

Filed under:
  • Sat, Jan 16 2016 4:12 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 948
    • Points 12,125

Re: Relinking To New Transcodes

Fortunately I did not run into this kind of harddsik failure. Reading your description, I assume you still have the masterclips in your bin, i.e., they were not stored on the disk which crashed. If this is the case, you also have the sequences intact, showing all media being"off-line".

As your disk with the transcoded media crashed, you have to re-transcode them in any case. I would try the following:

1. Make copies of your sequences.
    2. Run a Relink for each sequence to get them linked to your original footage. Make sure you select the box "Create new Sequence" at the bottom of the Transcode Window.
    3. Your new sequences should now be linked with your original sources.
    4. Mark your new sequences (possibly one by one), an run "Transcode" with the paramers set to your desired video format, and with the box "Create new Sequence" checked.  This will create new masterclips and a new sequence with these new masterclips, which are linked to your transcoded clips.

Another alternative may be to run a "Batch Import" on your duplicated sequences. In this case you need to set "Media Creation" to the desired video format befor running the batch import. I have not used this process, so I am not sure whether it runs flawlessly.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Sat, Jan 16 2016 4:48 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,444
    • Points 17,815

If you are early in the edit process and need to re-transcode all your sources, do so.  Then relink your sequences to the new transcodes by highlighting the new transcodes, highlighting your sequence and selecting "Selected items in ALL open bins" in the relink dialogue.

• Sun, Jan 17 2016 1:19 PM In reply to

How you re-create the offline media will depend on how you ingested it originally.

The older Legacy method of importing allows you tom use batch import.

However the more common way is to AMA link and then transcode.

In which case you need to re AMA link the sources and re-transcode them.

Then as described above you use the re-link command to relink the current sequences to the new transcoded meda.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller