Latest post Sat, Jan 16 2016 11:07 PM by Chepal. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 16 2016 10:54 AM

• Netti
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 16 2012
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Removing clips from track without removing the edits

I have a sequence where I need several additional video tracks on top of my V1. These new tracks should have edits in the same places like I have on V1 but between the edit there should be just fillers and no content.

Now, I have copied V1 to V2, V3, V4 - no problem for that. Then I tried to get rid of the clips without losing the edits but that seems to be more difficult. Anybody knows how to achieve that???

MC 8.7, Symphony Option, Artist Color, HP Z640, Quadro m4000, Win7 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 16 2016 2:55 PM In reply to

Re: Removing clips from track without removing the edits

I'd try this:

1. Add tracks V2 - V4

2. Park on the first edit on V1

3. Press "Add Edit" (I think it's H, but not always by default)

You should now have edits on V2 - V4 at the same place as on V1

4. Go to the next edit and repeat step 3 until you're done

If you map FF and REW to the keyboard (I've got them as S and A) you could jump to the next edit and add edits using the keyboard and it should go pretty fast.

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 16 2016 5:45 PM In reply to

• Netti
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Thanks for the hint. I was aware of that solution but for a project with several hundred edits it is still a lot of work!... (And I think you have to enable and disable tracks 2-4 inbetween, otherwise the cursor jumps to the end of the timeline.)

So, I am still trying to find an easy way to achieve my goal. Basically, it is easy to get all the edits in place (I put a duplicate of the sequence in a bin and edit the V1 from there to my original sequence's V2-4 OR I mark V1 and ALT-drag it to the next video track, copying everything on V1) but anyway: I would need to get rid of the content between the edits. That's where I got stuck....

MC 8.7, Symphony Option, Artist Color, HP Z640, Quadro m4000, Win7 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 16 2016 6:07 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 538
    • Points 6,290

hi netti,

look here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/31300/173520.aspx#173520

with pan and scan_effect and subdivide

you can leave the effects on the v_tracks, they have no content.

hope that helps

che

mac_mc_2020, fibre, sata, ssd [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Sat, Jan 16 2016 6:42 PM In reply to

• Netti
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Hi Chepal,

that's great! - I just tried this (adding pan&scan effect, then action / subdivide). It works just fine.
    And you are right, I would just leave the effects on the track. Deleting them tends to mess up the edits anyway.

• Sat, Jan 16 2016 7:14 PM In reply to

chepal:

hi netti,

look here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/31300/173520.aspx#173520

with pan and scan_effect and subdivide

you can leave the effects on the v_tracks, they have no content.

hope that helps

che

Nice one, che!

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 16 2016 7:29 PM In reply to

• Netti
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Well, Chepal, since you seem to be really fit with MC, I dare ask you something else which also has to do with my workflow:

Is there an easy way to merge 2 video tracks into 1 track? That would be helpful, too.

• Sat, Jan 16 2016 11:07 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 538
    • Points 6,290

hi netti,

what's the reason for that procedure?

try this: one track with normal clips and a second with pip_effects (picture in picture), than collapse to one track or videomixdown.

but it's easier to work with two "normal" videotracks.

hope that helps

che

mac_mc_2020, fibre, sata, ssd [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller