Latest post Thu, Nov 5 2015 11:17 PM by samincanada. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 21 2015 11:06 AM

"Alternate Edit" button

Hi,
    please, can someone explain step to step how to use this new Avid 8 "Alternate Edit" button?
    All I can find in the web is:
    "Alternate Edit—Cycle through pre-selected alternate shots within a story to decide which works best in context, or to repackage news stories instantly. Provides one-button previewing and overwriting of a selected clip in a sequence with any other pre-selected clips. Each time the button is pressed, a clip in the Alternate Edits bin replaces the clip where the position indicator is located."
    and:
    "Using Alternate Edit mode allows you to overwrite a selected clip in a sequence with several clips located in a special bin called Alternate Edits. To do this, you place the position indicator on a clip in the Timeline and click the Alternate Edit button. Each Alternate Edit replaces the clip where the position indicator is located with a clip from the Alternate Edits bin.".

But I don't understand how to create this special "Alternate edits bin!".  
    So I'd like to have a good and exhaustive explanation to how to use this function! 

Thanks 

Filed under:
  • Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:05 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,825
    • Points 31,330
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: "Alternate Edit" button

Hi Jacopo,

Not sure if this will help you.

To perform an alternate edit: 1. Load a sequence in the Timeline. 2. Create a bin called Alternate Edits. 3. Place clips or subclips in the Alternate Edits bin you want for your sequence.   The clips swapped into the sequence start at the beginning of the clip or subclip unless you mark an In or an Out point. When Out points are used, the sequence backfills the duration on the clip being replaced, starting from the Out point. 4. Move the position indicator in the Timeline to the clip you want to replace. 5. Select Tools > Command Palette. 6. Click the Play tab. 7. Click the Alternate Edit button. The system replaces the clip and performs an Edit Review command. (For information on Edit Review, see Reviewing Trim Edits.) The replacement clip prerolls in the sequence, using the preroll time specified in the Trim Settings dialog box. Each time you click the Alternate Edit button, a clip from the Alternate Edits bin overwrites the selected clip. 8. (Option) Perform successive alternate edits as follows: a. Stop playing the sequence when the position indicator is on the clip being replaced, or move the position indicator to the clip being replaced. b. Click the Alternate Edit button. Repeat this process to cycle through all the clips in the Alternate Edits bin.
    Good luck, Ralph
    MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.15.7 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 22 2015 9:07 AM In reply to

Hi Ralph,

thanks! I understood perfectly how it is work. I tried it some seconds ago and everything you said was ok! 

Thank you for helping me! 

Greetings!

Jacopo 

• Thu, Oct 22 2015 1:53 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,825
    • Points 31,330
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Cool! I'm glad that I could help.

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.15.7 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2015 11:17 PM In reply to

This soooooo is not working.  Does it only work for one clip at a time?  I ask because I work in animation so numerous boards may end up in a shot or sequence.  I created both a subsequence and a subclip and performed different edits on each.  they are in the folder called Alternate Edits.  i have mapped the Edit Review and Alternate Edit buttons to my keyboard. All the Edit Review button seems to do is start playing my timeline.  When I click the Alternate Edit button, I get the error message that there is insufficient source material to make this edit.  I've tried putting in an out marks on the timeline.  No deal.    Put in and out marks at the heads and tails of my "alternate edit" sequences.  No deal.  Oh, and the link for Riviewing Trim Edits in your post doesn't work -- thought maybe there was something in there that might show me what i'm missing.  I have only been successful at making it drop the clip in at the top of my timeline -- instead of where I wanted it.  And, if there are two clips in the Alternate Edits bin, it will only do the first one over and over and over again.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller