Latest post Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:08 AM by mjolnarn. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 2 2015 5:15 AM

MC 8.3.1 Playback Issues related to Audio Suite Plugins

Hello Everyone!

I would greatly appreciate anyone's input on some issue's I've been experiencing with MC 8.3.1

I'm experiencing some awful playback issues and it's only when Audio Suite Plugins are used. Let's say I play footage for 30 seconds, I begin to get dropped frames and stuttering playback. At times it will just stop playing even. This is far from what I've ever experienced in Media Composer over the past 5 year's. I'm using the same XDCam footage as I always have. All playback issues cease as soon as I delete the Audio Suite Plugins. These are not track based RTAS plugins. No effects are on the video footage even. I also notice the dropdown presets in the Audio Suite do not apply and the render button does nothing when I click it with the effect opened(like for instance an EQ effect or Compressor). I can render after the effect is applied and I from in side the timeline though. I've tested this on two seperate machines and it's the same on both with fresh installs of MC 8.3.1. There is definitely a bug or issue it seems unless I'm missing something. The playback does not get any better when I reduce the video resolution which makes sense since it's caused by the audio effects. The playback is so horrible that I will not be able to continue the edit if a solution is not solved. I've spent just over 400 hours cutting footage so far and have a long ways to go so anyone's help and suggestions I will very happy to recieve.

Thank You All Very Much in Advance!

- jared

MC Version 2020.4 | Windows 10 64 bit | 128 GB DDR4 Ram | ASUS X299-A | Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 20 Logical... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2015 5:34 AM In reply to

Re: MC 8.3.1 Playback Issues related to Audio Suite Plugins

Just questions
    Do you have Caps Lock on?
    Do you have waveforms on?
    How many audio tracks?
    How much RAM?

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 3:20 PM In reply to

Thanks for responding Andrew!

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, I crashed and grabbed some sleep hoping when I got back in there would be some answers to my questions. To answer your questions:

1. I've tested with both Caps Lock on and off(playback is actually worse with caps off, although scrubbing is snappier and smoother.

2. I've never used the waveforms so they are off but I tested with them on and are having no change in playback.

3. Audio tracks consist of 2-4 mono tracks.

4. The system I've been working on for several weeks has 64gb of ram. Also tested on my 12gb ram system that has been used the past five years with the same xdcam footage as well as the same audio suite plugins. Playback is even worse on that one and playback has never been an issue on that machine.

One thing I want to mention is audio transitions do not cause any issue. It's black and white that as soon as I delete the audio suite plugins playback is flawless.

MC Version 2020.4 | Windows 10 64 bit | 128 GB DDR4 Ram | ASUS X299-A | Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 20 Logical... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 2 2015 3:25 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,694
    • Points 44,430

You mention XDCam as footage.  That is a long GOP format which can be very CPU intensive.  I would be curious what would happen if you turn OFF video on all tracks so that the system only has to play the audio.  Is that any better? If so you need to think about some methods for decreasing the workload on the system. 

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 3:56 PM In reply to

Thanks for responding Jef!

With video track on or off audio always plays without stuttering. I should have specified that the video is what is dropping frames. However, nothing adds up to the cause being video related. Preview resolution does not change anything, there are no effects on the video, and there is absolutely no playback issues until I add an Audio Suite plugin like compressor. I can put several effects on the video and everything plays great. Add Audio Suite plugin and playback is so awful there's no way to watch 30 seconds without experiencing extremely distracting performance issues. I have several thousand hours working with the smae xdcam footage, format etc... over the past five year's and never have experienced this even on much less powerful machines. As soon as I delete the Audio Suite plugin playback is back to normal.

I'm beginning to lean towards the idea that this is a bug in 8.3.1 and I may have to fall back to an older version to continue. What version are you running?

Thanks!

- jared

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 4:55 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,694
    • Points 44,430

We are running 8.3.1 on Macs.

I will say I rarely use the Audio Suite plugins.  And do you mean using the track based plugins or clip based ones?  If clip based, have you rendered them?  Any difference?

All that said, you may be right that there is a bug.  Hopefully someone else can reproduce you issue.  If 3 different folks can show the same issue, it can get escalated by a moderator.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 4:55 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Standard questions :

Have you tested with and w/o the BM hardware

How about settings , are they refreshed / new  , new user

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 5:12 PM In reply to

Hello Jef!

Only the clip based plugins not the RTAS track based ones. I always render the audio suite plugins because there is a blue dot and they do not take effect until rendered. I have not noticed any issues in 8.3.1 outside of this audio suite problem which is perhaps you and many others may not have experienced any issues. Thank you.

- jared

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 5:14 PM In reply to

Hello and thank you for your interest in this matter!

I have tested with and without the B/M harware on two seperate machines with no luck. Also tried creating new user settings and that had no effect on the issue either. Thanks.

- jared

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 5:17 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Ok, thanks , is it the same type of GTX card also on that other system.

Do you have any system with a certified Quadro card to do comparing tests on .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jun 2 2015 6:07 PM In reply to

They are two seperate types of GTX cards. A 770 and 970. I found where avid actually noted what driver(340.52) to use on a 770 card and i have that driver installed. Here's that avid link: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/Source-Record-Monitors-not-updating-in-Media-Composer-8-3

• Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:08 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

I had a look at that kb link, quoting below, maybe it´s related to your issues , the only way to find this out is to do a test with a qualified card

We don't qualify (test) the other nVidia graphic cards, but to fix playback you can downgrade the drivers to a bit older version. The video playback works for example with the 340.52 driver. But you might not get all the acceleration, or other issues, as we only qualified the nVidia Quadro cards with the correct driver

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller