Latest post Fri, May 22 2015 11:53 AM by cuervo. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 19 2015 9:54 PM

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,330
    • Points 15,080

Avid Artist Color - any way of improving response with Symphony CCR?

I'm currently on v8.22 on HPz840s. We have Artist Color panels that are successfully controlling Avid Symphony CCR, Baselight Editions plug-in and Resolve.

The response of the panels in BLE is outstanding. In Resolve, despite some strange assignments, it is quite smooth. In Symphony it can most kindly be described as lumpy. Big jumps in movement on both the trackwheels and the balls make it almost unusable.

I've tried playing with the sensitivity, which helps a little (mainly winding down from 50 to about 10) but not enough to make me want to use this Avid product with the Avid CCR.

Is there anything I'm missing? I see that it was supposed to have improved after v7.0.4.

We are using, I believe, v3.22 of the EuControl drivers (certainly there is an option to 'restart eucon applications' which I think came after v3)

Thanks

• Wed, May 20 2015 12:00 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Artist Color - any way of improving response with Symphony CCR?

I think it is what it is.

I ahve no idea if the way Symphony is coded makes the interfacing to the panel an issue or there are other reasons. But we see exactly what you see. Pretty horrid in Symphony. Great in other applications.

We almost always round trip to Resolve now. Partly it's because the Artist panel works so nicely and partly because the grading tools are just so far ahead of Symphony. So we hardly ever use the Artist panel on Symphony.

I try it everytime we have an update to see but its not a lot better than it was years ago.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

Filed under:
  • Wed, May 20 2015 7:34 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,330
    • Points 15,080

Pat Horridge:
    We almost always round trip to Resolve now. Partly it's because the Artist panel works so nicely and partly because the grading tools are just so far ahead of Symphony.

Ditto for BLE - only there is no round-trip, it is all in the sequence so there is no need to have to track down or media manage the grade project. 

I think the guys here are most likely to use BLE rather than Resolve or Symphony but I wanted to give them the Artist Color control of Symphony if easy to switch.

• Fri, May 22 2015 11:53 AM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,780

The response in v8.3.1 seems to be related to the rate at which the wheels are moved. Move the wheels slowly and changes are barely perceptible. Move the wheels quickly and large changes result. This does make use of the Artist Color panel seem jumpy; and, unpredictable.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller