Latest post Tue, Mar 10 2015 1:54 PM by Marianna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 9 2015 3:47 AM

• J D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 22 2011
    • Posts 68
    • Points 860

Windows 8, Media Composer 6 upgrade help

Hi,

I currently have MC 6 installed on my windows desktop PC. I originally had MC 5 and upgraded to MC 7 with the free upgrade in 2013. However i found the update did not allow me to use a key frame audio option any more, so i went back down to MC 6 which still had the capability. 

During this time i had windows 7 installed on both my desktop and laptop. As i have now purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 installed, my previous MC 6 or 5.5 versions are no longer able to be installed on Windows 8 computer.

Q1) How can i update my MC 6 to allow installation on my new laptop ? (preferable a fee upgrade as i do not require any additions at this stage in my editing)

Q2) I am not planning to update my Desktop computer to Windows 8. So my question is, can i keep using the MC 6 on my Desktop which has Window 7 ? even if i upgrade/update the MC version on my laptop with Windows 8, or do both of the systems have to match to work?

Thanks in advance.

Avid Media Composer 6.5, Windows 7 Pro 64bit,Asus P8P67 Pro M/B, i7 Quadcore 3.4GHZ, OCZ SSD 60GB Sata 3 HDD,2X4GB DDR 3 1600 Corsair, 1TB Sata 3 HDD,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 9 2015 8:20 AM In reply to

Re: Windows 8, Media Composer 6 upgrade help

J D:
    Q1) How can i update my MC 6 to allow installation on my new laptop ? (preferable a fee upgrade as i do not require any additions at this stage in my editing)

I don't know of a free upgrade from MC6 to MC8.  Until March 31, 2015, you can upgrade to MC8 for $499.  (After that, from April 1, 2015 until May 15, 2015, the price will be $699.)

More details here: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/132831.aspx

J D:
    Q2) I am not planning to update my Desktop computer to Windows 8. So my question is, can i keep using the MC 6 on my Desktop which has Window 7 ? even if i upgrade/update the MC version on my laptop with Windows 8, or do both of the systems have to match to work?

You can use MC8 on a Windows 7 system, so you could purchase the upgrade to MC8 and install it on both the desktop and laptop.  (You could only have the license active on one at a time.)

Here's a link to the version matrix:  http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 9 2015 1:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,531
    • Points 235,135
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JD

Like Carl stated... there wasnt a free upgrade from MC 6 to MC 8.x UNLESS... you have an academic student license and that license falls within the guidelines of the 4 year free upgrades.

Otherwise, the pricing remains what Carl stated.

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 10 2015 11:33 AM In reply to

• J D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 22 2011
    • Posts 68
    • Points 860

Thank you both Carl and Marianna, i really appreciate it.

How does one with a student licence get the upgrade ? As i am sure mine is under 4 years.

Also the keyframe audio option that was taken away after the MC6, has it retuned to MC8? What i mean is - so if i edit an audio track then select the whole clip, do i still have the ability to up or down the volume equally in one go. I rely on that a lot in my current editing. I hope this makes sence ?

Avid Media Composer 6.5, Windows 7 Pro 64bit,Asus P8P67 Pro M/B, i7 Quadcore 3.4GHZ, OCZ SSD 60GB Sata 3 HDD,2X4GB DDR 3 1600 Corsair, 1TB Sata 3 HDD,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 10 2015 1:26 PM In reply to

J D:
    Also the keyframe audio option that was taken away after the MC6, has it retuned to MC8? What i mean is - so if i edit an audio track then select the whole clip, do i still have the ability to up or down the volume equally in one go. I rely on that a lot in my current editing. I hope this makes sence ?

If by "select the whole clip" you mean in segment (red or yellow arrow) mode, then no, this doesn't work in MC8.  For what it's worth, I don't ever remember audio keyframes working this way.

If by "select the whole clip" you mean "mark an in and out around a series of audio keyframes" then yes, this works in MC8.  For what it's worth, I don't remember this being removed from any recent versions of MC.

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 10 2015 1:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,531
    • Points 235,135
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

J D:

Thank you both Carl and Marianna, i really appreciate it.

How does one with a student licence get the upgrade ? As i am sure mine is under 4 years.

J D

1. Log in to your My Account at account.avid.com
    2. Then go to http://www.avid.com/US/support/upgrade-academic-free
    3. enter your system ID, activation ID and name
    4. Submit and if all is legit we will deposit an upgrade in your My Account
    5. Go back to your My Account and open Products and Subscriptions.

Any issues, email me directly and if you do email me - include your system ID.

Hope that helps....

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller