Latest post Sat, Mar 7 2015 9:25 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 6 2015 8:18 PM

MC 6.0.5.1 and Avid license control 3.5

Hi All,

I know Avid license control 3.5 was NOT designed to be comaptible with MC6.0(.5.1) but I'm wondering.

With a MC 8.0 dongle the license is backwards compatible until MC version 2.x. (With a MC 8.3 dongle it's until 5.5.)

With software activation a MC 8.0 software license was backwards compatible with MC 7 and MC 6.5 thanks to the introduction of the license control updates for MC 6.5 and 7.0.

Now any line you draw in backwards compatibility is arbitrary and that there are differences between the dongle activation capabilities and those of the software licenses is understandable although consistency would be better.

But still in case of MC 6.0.5...

Was it that big of a deal to create compatibility with Avid license control 3.5 when the MC 6.0.5.1 patch was released? I mean.... It's good to see that you still fix things for an old version but it sort of confirms the need to also keep those versions up to date with the current licensing scheme. Especially because the licensing scheme differences between MC 6.0 and MC 6.5 are so small that it would only need a very small effort.

Just saying.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Mar 6 2015 8:57 PM In reply to

Re: MC 6.0.5.1 and Avid license control 3.5

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    With a MC 8.0 dongle the license is backwards compatibility until MC version 2.x. (With a dongle the 8.3 license it's until 5.5.)
    So really no good (from a users perspective) reason why, if Avid had had the will, that the 8.3 Dongle should not have continued with the same backward compatible as the 8.0 Dongle. IMO worst case scenario for Avid would have leave the functional 8.0 avd and install (in tandem?) an 8.3 with "support" / Application Manager limitations avd 

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    With software activation a MC 8.0 software license was backwards compatible with MC 7 and MC 6.5 thanks to the introduction of the license control updates for MC 6.5 and 7.0.
    customers who brought Avid's after the introduction of Software Activation were fully informed that there was limited backward compatibility and I guess a large percentage of them did not own "older" versions anyway. Anyone converting from Dongles to Software activation where similarly informed of the limits in backward compatibility.  Unless I am completely wrong the 8.3 SA gives these folk the greatest backward compatibility since SA was introduced.

• Sat, Mar 7 2015 9:25 AM In reply to

Re: MC 6.0.5.1 and Avid license control 3.5

Andrew,

AndrewAction:
    Unless I am completely wrong the 8.3 SA gives these folk the greatest backward compatibility since SA was introduced.

I'm not saying it ain't. I'm only trying to point out that with little effort Avid could bring more consistancy in, what in all honesty can be called, a chaotic licensing scheme and an even worse development path over the past 3 years within that licensing scheme.

We're all aware that there are EOL and EOS dates. The 6.0.5.1 patch was released around Jun 12, 2014. MC 8.0 was released in may 2014. Due to these dates "my logic" tells me that creating license compatibility, like created with MC 6.5 and 7, should have also been created for mc 6 as it wasn't EOL at the time.

With a dongle there no such issue. Even today with the 8.3 license you can go back until 5.5.

Now that Avid does not fix this for 5.5 is "ok" as it is EOL and besides that its software licensing architecture was very different from 6 and up. But for 6 I see no "logic" (Miss you Leonard Nimoy Sad)

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller