Latest post Tue, Sep 29 2020 8:59 AM by Pol. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 8 2015 7:09 PM

• Andy81
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 2 2015
    • Posts 12
    • Points 155

subcap: italics

Hi!

My question is: when using subcap, can I turn into italics just some word but not the whole paragraph? I am working with AMC 8 and trying to come up with a solution but I don't find it. 

Thanks! 

• Sun, Feb 8 2015 7:21 PM In reply to

Re: subcap: italics

Sorry, but you can't do that. It's an annoying limitation of a feature that never saw any development after its first implementation.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 8 2015 9:02 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

If you only have a few sections to do, you might be able to add a second subcap track above your main one, and set the style of the upper track to italic. Then replace the offending words in the lower track with spaces, and enter just the italic words in the upper track, adding spaces t position them. Or even fake the italic words in the title tool? (disclaimer: I haven't tried either of these methods!)

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 8 2015 10:17 PM In reply to

• Andy81
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 155

Ok, but if add it in a second track, will I have it in the data when I export caption data?

It's terrible, i've been checking commentaries out about this very same topic from 2005 and still has not been improved. 

Thanks for your help though. 

• Sun, Feb 8 2015 10:26 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

No, an export from Subcap would only have the text data from one video track. So from the main track you'd get spaces instead of italic words. Probably not very useful...

It might help to know more about your workflow - what do you do with your exported data?

• Mon, Feb 9 2015 1:35 PM In reply to

blindpew:
    an export from Subcap would only have the text data from one video track.
    That's not true. In the SubCap export options you can set which tracks to include in the export. However, there can only be ONE caption at any given time in the export file. So if you have one regular line and one in italics on the same page, that would not work.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 9 2015 10:08 PM In reply to

• Andy81
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 155

Ok, thanks, mate. I will try it. 

• Mon, Feb 16 2015 6:17 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

Hi Job - thank you for correcting me - I've only ever exported from SubCap projects with one track, so made a rash assumption!

It prompted me to check exactly how it behaves, and as you say, if subtitles overlap on different tracks, the start of each new subtitle also becomes the end of any previous one. The subtitle on the highest track takes precedence.

However, if the SubCap Bypass setting is set on for a particular video track (so that those subtitles don't show on the Avid's screen), the subtitle text from all tracks is still exported.

• Mon, Sep 28 2020 11:48 AM In reply to

• joaoavid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 3 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

Hi, Just download the font you're using in italic style. Cheers

• Tue, Sep 29 2020 8:59 AM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,795

Subcap is great but it needs some upgrades. Italics is 1 of them.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller