Latest post Fri, May 22 2015 2:45 PM by Dan_B. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:02 AM

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 264
    • Points 3,450
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Transcoding to source frame rate

I am in a 29.97 project and have a 23.98 clip linked via AMA.  As we know MC can't play back h.264 Quicktimes worth a *** so I have to transcode it.

The MC 8.3 What's New guide states

"When transcoding, you can now choose to keep the media at its original frame rate."

However, I see no option for this;  when I right-click a clip and hit Transcode, all I get is the new options for keeping its native resolution, but nothing about framerate.. and indeed if I try to proceed anyway, I get the same old popup about how it's going to create a new clip and change the framerate to that of the project.

Is this a feature that failed to make it into the release or is there a switch hidden somewhere I'm missing?

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 3:40 AM In reply to

Re: Transcoding to source frame rate

This is bizarre, but - you actually have to temporarily switch your project to a higher-than-HD resolution.  Then, the DNxHR codecs become available, and you can transcode to source resolution, source rate.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 7:08 AM In reply to

ManChicken:
    When transcoding, you can now choose to keep the media at its original frame rate."
    Only works in 2K+ project types. 

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 11:31 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 264
    • Points 3,450
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Job ter Burg:

Oh. Well that's (not) useful.

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 11:43 PM In reply to

ManChicken:

Job ter Burg:

Oh. Well that's (not) useful.

It is still useful - what I do is go up into the Settings window, and in the Format tab, change my project to one of those types - usually UHD.  Then, I can transcode my media to DNxHR, at the source frame rate and size.  Once I do that, I just flip back into the project I was working in before.  Works great for editing, and you still preserve the ability to link back to your raw AMA material when it's time to do so.

The downside is you can't export a QuickTime Reference from this, as there's no DNxHR QuickTime component yet.  Still, there are workflow benefits to the temporary hi-res project swap.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 22 2015 2:45 PM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 156
    • Points 1,695

I know this is a long ago thread now but i've just done something similar at work.

In the Source Settings for your AMA clips there is a tab called Playback Rates. In here you can choose whether to play the clip at the source rate or project rate.

Does take a little bit of thinking though, as we all know that Avid will always playback the clip at the frame rate of the project anyway, whether thats by applying a temporal adapter to it or not.

If you set the playback rate to be that of your project its a bit like the import method where your footage is more simply retimed frame by frame and the duration will alter quite a bit depending on what your original framerate was vs the project (destination).

When you transcode/consolidate it will still warn you about converting the clip though.

You do get audio with the clip too - i'm not sure how clever the handling of this is though, could just be a pitch shift..

Hope that helps bring some (albeit late) clarity!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller