Latest post Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:06 AM by Vilem. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:00 AM

How to measure LKFS levels?

I have received this loudess spec from a broadcaster: "Must be within 2 LKFS of -24 LKFS"

Where does this correspond to the VU and digital numbers on the audio tool? 

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:36 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,446
    • Points 98,375

Re: How to measure LKFS levels?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Loudness, K-weighted, relative to Full Scale (or LKFS) is a loudness standard designed to enable normalization of audio levels for delivery of broadcast TV and other video.  Loudness units relative to Full Scale (or LUFS) is a synonym for LKFS that was introduced in EBU R128.  Loudness Units (or LU) is an additional unit used in EBU R128. It describes Lk without direct absolute reference and therefore describes loudness level differences.

LKFS is standardized in ITU-R BS.1770.  In March 2011, the ITU introduced a loudness gate in the second revision of the recommendation, ITU-R BS.1770-2.  In August 2012, the ITU released the third revision of this recommendation ITU-R BS.1770-3.

The EBU has suggested that the ITU's changing the unit to LUFS as LKFS does not comply with scientific naming conventions and is not in line with the standard set out in ISO 80000-8.  Furthermore, they suggest the symbol for 'Loudness level, k-weighted' should be Lk, which would make Lk and LUFS are equivelent when LUFS indicates the value of Lk with reference to digital full scale.

Since ITU-R BS.1770-2, LKFS and LUFS are identical.

Hope that helps.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:55 AM In reply to

But is there a way to adjust these levels using MC's audio mixer and/or a limiter in the audio suit?   I don't see any reference to LKFS in any of limiters in the audio suit...or in iZotope Nectar or in Sound Forge.  

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Jun 21 2014 2:58 AM In reply to

I believe the latest versions of SoundForge can measure a files LKFS levels. 

I use Nugen.  File processing 20+x faster than real time. Just used it on 18 commercial half hour programs (with LKFS requirements)and all past QC.  
    IMO as almost all your deliverables from now on will be required to meet some LKFS standard now could be a great time to invest in the product. There is a free trial option. (I do not think you get a usable file saved from the free trial though)

• Sat, Jun 21 2014 1:42 PM In reply to

I've got to give a hand to the folks at Google.  I'm trying to learn more about LKFS levels so I Googled the topic.   The first link that came up was this thread...which I only started yesterday!

• Sat, Jun 21 2014 1:45 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    I use Nugen.  File processing 20+x faster than real time. Just used it on 18 commercial half hour programs (with LKFS requirements)and all past QC.  

Andrew, is this a plug-in that works within MC or is it a stand alone program?   I checked out the link and all the references are to ProTools.

• Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:22 PM In reply to

Terry I like, and use, the standalone version. Export stereo wav file from MC or Protools. Open and correct in Nugen (saves a wav file). Import to MC and drop on final export timeline.

I would have thought from this "For file based-processes (either with the standalone or Avid AudioSuite versions), LM-Correct rapidly assesses and adjusts the entire file much faster than real time" that a version will work inside MC.

• Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:15 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    I would have thought from this "For file based-processes (either with the standalone or Avid AudioSuite versions), LM-Correct rapidly assesses and adjusts the entire file much faster than real time" that a version will work inside MC.

Yup, if I had read it all the way through--and was wearing my readers--I would have thought the same thing.  Embarrassed

• Sun, Jun 22 2014 9:49 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 918
    • Points 11,735

Thought you might be interested in these programs.

Orban Loudness meter for Win/Mac

A free, standalone utility for measuring (amongst other things) LKFS levels. This software won't fix any loudness issues for you but will let you know if you breach certain loudness standards, such as BS.1770-3 and EBU R 128.

www.orban.com

LevelNorm for Win/Mac

AAX/Audiosuite plugin (so you can work directly from within MC or Protools)

Analyses and fixes loudness errors to the EBU R128 and ATSC A/85 standards

grimmaudio.com

Bruno

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 23 2014 8:23 AM In reply to

Terry yes you can make adjustments to your LKFS levels in MC by just adjusting the gain level. Howver as you now know you can't monitor LKFS levels using normal VU or PPM meters.

The Nugen plugin is great for this. You can use it as an RTAS plugin in MC or on a mixdown track as an audiosuite plugin for faster than realtime measurement.

One thing to watch is the True Peak reading. If that is high and the LKFS is low then lifting the gain will clip.

So you then have to look at some compression.

Here in the UK we are largely moved over to Loudness compliance for file based dleiveries now.

And just this afternoon I'm delivering an afternoon short session on loudness for VET.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:06 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,444
    • Points 15,855

To check the level, you can use HOFA 4U Meter, Fader & MS-​​Pan, Rtas plugin which is free.

V.

AVID MC2021.12, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 461.72, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 12.1, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller