Latest post Fri, Jun 26 2015 11:03 PM by hbrock. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 28 2014 1:39 PM

• BlueGirl Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 25 2006
    • Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,960

MC titles to Resolve via AAF

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Resolve 10 to recognise titles created in media composer?

It seems an XML from FCP 7 to Resolve brings the sequence and titles (even though they appear tiny) but an AAF from media composer means any titles are simply seen as offline slug.

Essentially I'd like to create the titles in MC then grade and finish in Resolve for a 2K DCP. 

All help and advise much appreciated as always. 

Thanks

G. 

Currently using MC 8 and Resolve 10.1

Dual 2.7GHz G5 | 5GB RAM | SIIG Firewire 400 | MC 2.8.3 | Mojo SDI | 2x 23" ACD [view my complete system specs]

"To achieve greatness only two things are required; a plan, and not quite enough time"

Gustav Mahler

• Thu, May 29 2014 12:44 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

Re: MC titles to Resolve via AAF

Titles do not come across.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, May 29 2014 1:20 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,886
    • Points 46,875

BlueGirl Media:

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Resolve 10 to recognise titles created in media composer?

It seems an XML from FCP 7 to Resolve brings the sequence and titles (even though they appear tiny) but an AAF from media composer means any titles are simply seen as offline slug.

Essentially I'd like to create the titles in MC then grade and finish in Resolve for a 2K DCP. 

All help and advise much appreciated as always. 

Thanks

G. 

Currently using MC 8 and Resolve 10.1

As Terry, noted, title content is not part of the AAF.  If the workflow that you describe is really important, I would recomend creating titles in Photoshop or AfterEffects as .png files and relinking to them in Resolve.  ( Just musing about this - have not tried it. )

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, May 31 2014 1:04 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 64,755
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Alternately you could do a Video Mixdown of any section with titles to get them to show up in Resolve but they'll be limited to HD resolution.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 6:41 PM In reply to

• BlueGirl Media
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 25 2006
    • Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,960

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry it took so long to get back (busy week!).

What I was hoping for was a quick/easy way to get the whole project including titles conformed inside Resolve at 4K for finishing.

Creating the files in Photoshop and relinknig to them in resolve should go a ways to making it work.

However I'm wondering, since FCPs XML does support recreating titles in resolve, is there a method for exporting an XML from Media Compser rather than an AAF or an EDL?

And just 'cause I'm curious, do you guys know why the AAF method doesn't support titles? Is it an Avid/AAF thing or is it simply something that Resolve hasn't yet implemented on thier side?

Once again many thanks!

PS

I was very excited to get a reply from Terence! It's like getting a reply from editing royalty! I love those preNAB panels.

Best

G.

Dual 2.7GHz G5 | 5GB RAM | SIIG Firewire 400 | MC 2.8.3 | Mojo SDI | 2x 23" ACD [view my complete system specs]

"To achieve greatness only two things are required; a plan, and not quite enough time"

Gustav Mahler

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 7:31 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

Thanks. :-)

The problem is on Avid's end. They have always maintained proprietary areas of AAF which is why it was never truly an open platform like XML. That was workable in the days when Avid had a self contained island. Now, without a decent finishing platform in their lineup, it is biting them in the a$$.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Jun 3 2014 7:32 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

PS: There is no XML workaround.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Jun 4 2014 7:00 AM In reply to

I was told Autodesk Smoke can extract the text string from titles created with Avid title tool via AAF. So some of it is coming across.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 7 2015 6:47 PM In reply to

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 11 2014
    • Canada
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,430

Any news on that subject ? Anybody found a way to get the titles from MC to Resolve ?

Media Composer 2020.8 | iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB | G-Raid 16TB Thunderbolt 3 | macOS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 8 2015 4:42 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 64,755

Nope.  But with 8.3 you're no longer limited to HD resolution if you do a mixdown.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, May 8 2015 1:54 PM In reply to

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,430

So what would you do ? Export a hires Quicktime with alpha of the sequence with titles only and import it over the graded footage in Resolve ?

Media Composer 2020.8 | iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W | 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 | Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB | G-Raid 16TB Thunderbolt 3 | macOS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 8 2015 5:18 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,556
    • Points 64,755

What I would do is round trip back to Media Composer and finish there. Your actual mileage may vary.

• Fri, May 8 2015 8:26 PM In reply to

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,430

Yes thank you, this is what I was thinking about after I read your msg.

This is going to be my first project graded in Resolve coming from MC. Do you, by any chance, have a (recent) workflow tutorial you could point me too ? So far I've seen this one: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-avid-to-resolve-workflow/

Thanks

• Fri, May 8 2015 9:02 PM In reply to

If using Resolve 11 have you considered the possibilities of creating / adding your titles in Resolve?

• Fri, May 8 2015 10:09 PM In reply to

• JPBU
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 177
    • Points 2,430

The movie in question is a 90min documentary, with many titles and subtitles (for 3 different languages). And we have to deliver 2 different versions, one in English, the other in French. Because the titles are important to the understanding of the story, most of them have already been created (200+) in the offline edit. So doing them all again in Resolve just seems like a waste of time. For movies with fewer titles, I would consider it.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller