Latest post Sun, Nov 10 2013 10:28 PM by smyers63. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 10 2013 7:00 PM

AKAI LPD8 midi controller with Avid Media Composer

Hi everybody,

I have this AKAI LPD8 midi controller and i would like to use it to control Avid Media Composer 6.0 (first of all audio mixer).

I looked for informations and tips on google, avid forums, media editors' forums and could not find a single information. I just found some tips on how programming a generic midi controller but i did not understand properly how to do it...

It's the first time I use midi, so I need a step-by-step procedure for dummies (from programming the akai to programming controller settings in Avid MC). :)

Any help will be very appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Mario

• Sun, Nov 10 2013 7:30 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: AKAI LPD8 midi controller with Avid Media Composer

I don't think that's a supported controller so you probably won't get any help of much use.  As far as I know, MC still isn't open to use with just any MIDI controller.  Other I/O options are there for audio and video in and out but the controller options are still limited.  I was never able to get any information about what controller codes MC expects from a controller to handle the various functions other than those very few I already knew from using the Korg.  And even knowing the codes, MC might still require a driver to get data from your controller.

You may have seen my thread from a few years ago about using a Korg nanoKontrol but that thread may or may not help you.  About your only chance is to find someone who has used that controller to see if anything is possible using it with MC.

You may just have to experiment with the controller settings in MC and settings on the controller.

Good luck with it.

Scott

• Sun, Nov 10 2013 10:28 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: AKAI LPD8 midi controller with Avid Media Composer

Now that I see that's a pad controller instead of a fader controller, I don't think you'll get anywhere with that.  Pads are meant to send note/velocity data which isn't the same as the data that faders and knobs send.  I would not spend any time trying to use that as a controller for audio.  None at all.  It's not worth the effort.  I know it has knobs but you said you have no MIDI experience.  You'll probably never get it to do anything without someone experienced to help you with the controller in person.  It's not fruitful to try through a forum.  Someone needs to experiment with it and even at that I don't know if it would ever work.

If I wanted to try something out that wasn't supported, I'd go back to the Korg I mentioned in my old thread here on the Avid forums.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller