Latest post Thu, Apr 18 2013 3:05 PM by ER-EM. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 17 2013 11:01 AM

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 5 2011
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

Working with MC 6.0.3.3 and Premiere Pro CS6 workflow

Hy everybody,

Working on a documentary, my Director ask me to import a Premiere Pro sequence of a multcam shot in AVCHD.

He needs to modify this sequence in MC.

I've tried to export from Premiere an AAF, but I couldn't relink to anything.

Does somebody have an idea for how to do that ?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

Avid Symphony 6.0.3.3 - Dongle activation MacPro 2x2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 16Go Ram - ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 2x 4To 7200rpm in Raid 0 - Os X 10.7.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 17 2013 11:09 AM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,280

Re: Working with MC 6.0.3.3 and Premiere Pro CS6 workflow

What format is the media which ahs been used in PP? And how are you trying to re-link from MC?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 17 2013 2:10 PM In reply to

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

The original medias are AVCHD .MTS Files HD 1080i/50.

They results from the capture of a 90' dance show by 8 cameras. The dance show was shot on 2 days, and the sequence multicam edited in Premiere use pieces of the two representations. So there is 16x90' of ruhes.

The Premiere project was set in DVC Pro HD 1080i/50 and exported as an AAF file.

My project is set at 1080i/50 (1920x1080) 709.

I import the AAF file in a new bin and I get a warning message "Encountered exception 'Failed to import a clip' Do you want to continue the import? See console ...

Console says for each Clip

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

Clip: 00389.MTS

Clip (internal): <unnamed>

Minor Change: Error with media reference (clip will be offline).

Informative: Missing clip name.

I got 2 offline sequences in my bin (1 with multiple video tracks stacked and one withe the edit on V1).

Trying to relinking pointing thePremiere-media drive doesn't any result.

Linking the files via ama in the bin and relinking doesn't work better ...

What can I do ?

Avid Symphony 6.0.3.3 - Dongle activation MacPro 2x2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 16Go Ram - ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 2x 4To 7200rpm in Raid 0 - Os X 10.7.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 17 2013 2:25 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,280

It seems that MC doesn't link the MTS files which is why you can't link to the MTS files. MTS files normally have structure folders which sounds like that structure has been broken.

What you can try is to export embeded AAF from PP and then import the AAF into MC and see if that works. But I would try and do a 1min sequence and not the whole sequence as that will take a while.

• Wed, Apr 17 2013 2:26 PM In reply to

I spent some time a few weeks back with PPro CS6 and MC V6.5.2.1 and also couldn't get any media to relink.

Everything seems to look like it should work but eventually I discovered the clip information in teh AAF from Premiere had modified the original source file names and I suspected that was the issue.

The clip name was correct but the original file name (which is what MC needs to use) had been modified.

Knowing AAfs from otehr systems can come in ok I had to assume PPro just doesn't do AAF exports correctly.

I'd suggest they finish the job in Premiere if that's the tool they wnat to use.

Unless there's a strong post workflow reason for it switching systems is just asking for trouble.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:26 PM In reply to

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

Many thanks for all your replies.

Trying embending medias in PremierePro AAF export make PP crash on my mac ...

According to Adobe Help page :

"AAF files exported from Premiere Pro and imported into Avid Media Composer do not automatically relink to the source footage. To relink the footage, use the Batch Import option in Avid Media Composer."

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1E3E2208-8384-42fd-822B-8F07F2E5438Fa.html#WS37420b7f754071591172e0811d303d48ed-8000

So the edited sequence won't batch import but the multiple video tracks stacked one does. Not very useful ...

Trying to decompose the edited sequence, avid said 'there are no clip to be decompsed"...

• Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:28 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,280

You can try the XMl route. Not sure how useful this will be but worth trying

• Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:33 PM In reply to

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

Many thanks Pat for your reply,

The multicam edit in Premiere was done in september en finished. My Director just want to extract 12 x 1'30" parts of the final show to explain the difficulties encountered by the dancers. But he would like to modify the original edit, using the trim ...

• Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:01 PM In reply to

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

Could you explain me the XML route, I don't know this way ???

Thanks in advance

Richard

• Wed, Apr 17 2013 6:10 PM In reply to

• Strypes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 31 2011
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,710

There's no XML route from what I know. Avid doesn't take FCP 7 XML, unless there is a 3rd party app for that which I don't know about.

You can try exporting an EDL or AAF and importing that into Avid. Then batch import the source clips into Avid and then re-link them. The one issue you may have is the file names, assuming your AvcHD cards contain duplicate file names.

• Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:40 AM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,280

Have done some tests Export XML for FCP from PP and then through FCP use Automatic Duck to creat AAF for MC. But the problem is that it own't Batch Import the files. I  have also managed to bring in the AAF from PP to MC directly but same issue and I guess this is down to MTS files. So I wouold make the changes using PP as Pat said above.

• Thu, Apr 18 2013 3:05 PM In reply to

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

Thanks Az Kola.

But I don't have FCP ...

After a long search between Adobe Help, Adobe Forum and Creative Cow Forum, it seems that the multicam sequence PP is "nested" and this sequence doesn't refer directly to the master clip. There's no easy way to reverse a nested sequence as colorists working with AAF export from PP says.

I've found a way (maybe long) but it seems to work.

In PP I duplicate the original Multicam seq and in that seq I delete all the clips that are not from Cam 01 (cilps from cam 1 are staying at their place), then I duplicate the original Multicam seq and do the same for Cam 02.

8 cams so 8 seqs.

Then I export as AAF and import in Avid. I obtain medias, the stacked seq made for syncing (8 video tracks), and the 8 Cams seq.

Medias are offline, I batch import them.

The stacked seq is online, then ganging for each cam, I cut on each video track recomposing the multicam edit ...

That's the only long way I've found.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller