Latest post Sat, Aug 11 2012 12:29 AM by denniscasey. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 10 2012 1:15 AM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,495

Basic Question: Almost Certain I Am Burning Blu-ray But Why is File Type only dvd-dvi??

Just noticed tonight when Avid DVD told me I needed to save project before burning Blu-ray the next window only provided dvd-dvi option in Save as Type window.  I have burned several DVD's and Blu-rays more or less by rote after watching many tutorials including Douglas's series, but never really paid attention to this Save as Type window.  So now I am just wondering if I should have been seeing some bd option?

When played on Blu-ray player Blu-ray version looks much better than DVD version and DVD player won't recognize Blu-ray (will recognize DVD I burn from same project) so empirically I am sure I am burning Blu-ray, but only being presented with dvd-dvi in Save As Type window got me wondering about that file format.

My Workflow: In MC6 only working with high def (1080i mostly, some 720p) but burn both DVD and Blu-ray from same project.  From MC6 choose File>Send To> DVD Authoring (at this point just use DVD Authoring to allow selecting Stop disc at end and don't do menu's yet).

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:29 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,421
    • Points 54,985

Re: Basic Question: Almost Certain I Am Burning Blu-ray But Why is File Type only dvd-dvi??

That is the DVDit extension for a saved project.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 21.9. Win 21H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 19/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Fri, Aug 10 2012 2:50 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,495

Re: Basic Question: Almost Certain I Am Burning Blu-ray But Why is File Type only dvd-dvi??

John, thank you for info; some of these basic things still make me wonder if I am doing things correctly.  Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:43 PM In reply to

Dennis,

If you are not doing so already, it's always better to write to a volume instead of burning directly to DVD or Blu-Ray.   This way, if you need another copy later on you don't have to go through the re-transcoding stage.  To avoid any confusion when burning DVD or Blu-ray volumes, and not to get confused with the dvi files created by AvidDVD, I always create new folders for the volumes.  I call them [Project Name] Volume-SD or [Project Name] Volume-BluRay.   Then I write my volumes to these folders.   If you want to archive or move to another computer, all you have to do is copy the Volume folders for the projects you want.  

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Aug 11 2012 12:29 AM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,495

Terry, thank you and that is good advice.  I did learn the wisdom of the volume method just a couple weeks ago and have started using that approach.  In the case where I noticed the dvd-dvi thing I was just making a quick "one off" containing a few clips to give to a friend.

Regards, Dennis

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller