Latest post Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:44 PM by Larry Rubin. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 8:06 PM

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 27 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425

MC5.5 to MC 6.0 upgrade problem

I'm having problems with upgrading MC 5.5 to MC 6.0.  As I've seen suggested, I've sent an email to Marianna, but I haven't heard anything back so I'm wondering if the collective wisdom here can suggest something I'm missing.  Here's where I stand.

I purchased MC5.5 as an upgrade to FCP last year, as the boxed set.  For various reasons, I never actually installed it, though I did run the Download version of MC5.5 in trial mode for a while.  I did do the on-line registration of MC5.5

About a month ago, I installed the trial version of MC6.0.  I liked what I saw (mainly AMA support of AVCHD) so I bought the MC5.5 to MC6.0 upgrade.

Now, when I try to activate the license for MC6.0, using my MC5.5 system ID, I get the error "Update Activation Failed. Prior product is not correct for this upgrade license."

Is the FCP upgrade to 5.5 not eligible for future upgrades?  Or is there something else missing in this process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the trial period has finished, and I need to get the project finished.

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 9:21 PM In reply to

Re: MC5.5 to MC 6.0 upgrade problem

fredthe:
    Now, when I try to activate the license for MC6.0, using my MC5.5 system ID, I get the error "Update Activation Failed. Prior product is not correct for this upgrade license."

When you purchased the 5.5 to 6 upgrade, you should have received an email with a new activation code (serial number) to use along with your current system ID to activate 6. Did you receive that?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 9:31 PM In reply to

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Maryland
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425

With the 6.0 Upgrade, I received a code (nnnn-nnnn-nnnn-nnnn) for the MC5.5 to MC6.0 upgrade.  I'm using this code, along with the MC5.5 system ID, when I get the error.

Along with the MC upgrade code, I also got codes for AvidFX, AvidDVD, and SorensenSqueeze.  Those work fine.

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 9:38 PM In reply to

Marianna receives an average of 1,000 emails per day, so depending on when you sent yours, it may take a while before she gets to you. If you don't receive an answer within 24 hours of the time you sent it, you may want to email her again. She can and will help you solve this problem.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 9:59 PM In reply to

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Maryland
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425

It's been almost 48 hours, I will ping her again.  I just wanted to check if I was missing something, so I could fix it myself.

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:29 PM In reply to

I had some problems with activating my upgrade as well, and the long and short of it was she needed to give me a new system ID and a new serial number. It does sound like you're going to need her help to solve this.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jun 10 2012 10:04 PM In reply to

Just to bounce in on this thread. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0. I saw it in the Avid store for $575.

1. Is that the current deal and/or correct pricing for going from 5.0 (not 5.5) to 6.0?

2. Is this just an upgrade for MC? Or does it include upgrades for Avid DVD, Avid FX, Sqeeze, etc?

3. Do I need to drop Marianna a note or anything or just order ir through the Avid store?

Thanks,

Jeff

(sorry for highjacking the thread)

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

Created Design Video - "Video for the common man"

• Sun, Jun 10 2012 10:17 PM In reply to

Jeff:

What I'm seeing at the store is that the Pre 5.5 to 6.0 download upgrade is $599.00 and the MC 5.5 to 6.0 upgrade is $499.00. See this link.

The upgrade from 5 to 6 includes upgrades for Avid DVD (PC Only), Avid FX and Sorenson Squeeze because they also must be 64 bit based. You will go to www.avid.com/mc3party to get the serial numbers for each of the plugins. As of version 6, BCC is only available with the Symphony product line. But, if you currently own BCC as part of your MC 5 configuration, Boris is offering a reasonable upgrade path to BCC 8, which is 64 bit and is required for MC 6.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jun 10 2012 10:21 PM In reply to

almost40_3girls:
    I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0.

You should consider getting the crossgrade to Symphony (offer lasts until June 15th). It's 995 USD, but it gets you BCC8 AVX as well as all the other stuff included with MC, plus Symphony color correction.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 1:50 PM In reply to

Well after looking at the upgrade price for BCC, if I had it I would go for the Symphony upgrade but I don't have it. I will have to really weigh this one now.....

Jeff

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 6:39 PM In reply to

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Maryland
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425

For those following the initial issue, I heard back from Marianna this morning.

It seems the problem is the I never activated MC5.5.  So it appears that I have to Install/Activate/Deactivate 5.5, before I can use the 6.0 upgrade code.  I plan to do this on a spare PC, so I don't have to uninstall/reinstall MC6.0 also.

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 7:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Fred

You get stuck - ping me back on email and I can manually activate/deactivate you...

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 7:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,521
    • Points 235,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

almost40_3girls:

Well after looking at the upgrade price for BCC, if I had it I would go for the Symphony upgrade but I don't have it. I will have to really weigh this one now.....

Jeff

Jeff....

BCC comes with the Symphony 6 upgrade so you get a $1595 dollar product with the $999 Symphony upgrade or crossgrade along with Avid DVD, Avid FX and Sorenson Squeeze.  

Doesnt make sense to buy a MC upgrade right now when you can get Symphony which is MC in steriods.... for a few hundred more.

marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 7:07 PM In reply to

If you have the few hundred more!

Jeff

• Wed, Jun 13 2012 9:31 PM In reply to

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Maryland
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425

Marianna,

I agree the symphony upgrade is the way to go... but I wasn't aware of it when I bought the MC6.0 upgrade.  GIven that I haven't yet activated my MC6.0 upgrade (due to the issue that started this thread), is there any way to upgrade the MC upgrade to a Symphony upgrade?

-Fred

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller