Latest post Thu, May 31 2012 4:55 AM by scott auerbach. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 30 2012 6:09 PM

Can't MC6 be installed on a non-system internal hard drive?

I'm trying to install MC6 on a partitioned internal hard drive, to keep it completely isolated from CS6, to avoid codec conflicts.  But MC6 won't install on anything other than the system (OS) partition.  Is this a requirement?  I find nothing in any of the documentation or user forums that indicates this is the case.

2.7 GHz iMac Intel Core i5, 20GB RAM, G-Tech eSpeed RAIDs, AJA ioXT, ATTO Thunderlink, RED Rocket accelerator [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2012 12:29 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,935
    • Points 227,490
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Can't MC6 be installed on a non-system internal hard drive?

scott auerbach:

I'm trying to install MC6 on a partitioned internal hard drive, to keep it completely isolated from CS6, to avoid codec conflicts.  But MC6 won't install on anything other than the system (OS) partition.  Is this a requirement?  I find nothing in any of the documentation or user forums that indicates this is the case.

Scott,

I am pretty sure that MC, becasue of the way its Media Managaemnt works, should (not must) be installed on the System drive.

Are there compatability problems between CS6 codecs and Avid Codecs being reported somehwere?

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, May 31 2012 3:10 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply.

The installer will only allow MC to go on the boot drive partition, so it seems to be a "must"...  As for reported conflicts, I wasn't able to find reports of that, but both apps are quite new.  Given that I've spent a year with a seat of Avid that I've been completely unable to use, apparently due to conflicts with my FCP installation on that machine, I'm a little gun-shy.

2.7 GHz iMac Intel Core i5, 20GB RAM, G-Tech eSpeed RAIDs, AJA ioXT, ATTO Thunderlink, RED Rocket accelerator [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2012 4:42 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,402
    • Points 97,185

scott auerbach:
    Given that I've spent a year with a seat of Avid that I've been completely unable to use, apparently due to conflicts with my FCP installation on that machine, I'm a little gun-shy.
    Can't speak for MC6, but FCP7 and MC5.5 coexist quite happily here.  I wouldn't have thought that there'd be a problem with MC6.

In fact on various work and play PCs I also have MC5.5 coexisting happily with Adobe CS5 and Lightworks version 11.  What were the symptoms of the failure to coexist?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 31 2012 4:55 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    What were the symptoms of the failure to coexist?

Oh heavens... it was documented on the user forums at the time and caused an immense firestorm that quickly slouched into a name-calling match about the evils of ProRes, when all I was trying to do was get my own problems debugged. 

In short, about half the codecs failed to operate properly, giving me massively-incorrect gamma / levels on AMA linking, transcoding to DNxHD, and exporting.  Nobody ever managed to figure out the cause, though nobody in Support seemed especially interested in trying.  I'll admit that it left an extremely unpleasant taste in my mouth, and led me to abandon Avid and switch to CS.  But now that I have a new machine, I figured I'd try again to have two options rather than completely waste the money I spent on Media Composer.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller