Latest post Sun, Jan 8 2012 8:22 PM by Dean Murray. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:51 PM

A question about rendering...

I have a couple of observations about Media Composer (still on 5.5) and rendering.

I noticed that on a very simple project (1080p/25 - DNxHD 185 and Titles 1:1 MXF)  I'm working on that once the timeline is exported as a QT Ref then the timeline is rendered as expected, all the effects were real-time playback effects and apart from a few effects at the end it played back smoothly but I noticed that once rendered the playback is actually worse than before it was rendered. Most of the issues seem to be on cross fades particulary at the beginning on Titles, Video and audio freezes playback and continues a few frames down the timeline.  Would this be normal? If I delete the renders and clear them using the Media Tool, it goes back to better performance.

Also I find that after a render some clips have red lines across the top of some clips, especially near transitions, so it seems to be related to the above observations.

Any explaination of how Media Composer rendering works would be useful, I can only go by Liquid on a P4 machine but with only SD footage but once rendered the timeline playback was generally smooth.

Dean 

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:19 AM In reply to

Re: A question about rendering...

Dean,

A 1080/25p and at DNxHD 185 resolution a project can't be very simple...

It is normal as the timeline is a heavy one.

Even reading... renders at this stage it needs much power.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:33 AM In reply to

• MAC HOLLAND
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Holland Landing Ontario
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,390

The red line means that its not fully rendered - so that may have something to do with it. I've noticed that unrendered material will stall when it it plays over clips edits.  

Did you have all the tracks turned on and use a full render or a smart render?  

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.08 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI... [view my complete system specs]

MAC HOLLAND
    YORK REGION - ONTARIO

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:34 AM In reply to

• MAC HOLLAND
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Holland Landing Ontario
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,390

Another thought - if he red lines appear after the playback, that may indicate playback issues.

Have you checked your drive capcity?

Just thiking out loud - I run into this a fair bit running HD materai

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.08 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI... [view my complete system specs]

MAC HOLLAND
    YORK REGION - ONTARIO

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:46 AM In reply to

Dean Murray:

Also I find that after a render some clips have red lines across the top of some clips, especially near transitions, so it seems to be related to the above observations.

Are you marking the entire timeline, all tracks active and using "render in/out"? If not, try that. The red line above the clips indicate unrendered regions. In my experience, I have found expert render to be sometimes unreliable.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 1:10 AM In reply to

What resolution are you rendering at?  Check your media creation settings, on the render tab, do you have Same as Source checked? 

What I think may be happening is that you are rendering at 1:1. Uncompressed HD is much harder to play back real time than 185. If you are saying rendered dissoves and such are not playing back, then this must be the case.

Confirm that you are rendering at 185, and uncheck Same as Souce, that way your titles that are 1:1 will now render at 185. Thus it will give you better play back.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 3:02 AM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,320

Yes i agree with mr difficult, it does sound like your render is at HD uncompressed and your storage cannot deal with that.

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 11:28 AM In reply to

Thanks for all your responses. 

Thanks to all your comments I think the issue is that my storage has problems with the uncompressed titles, so I thought I'd try and save some of the titles as DNxHD 185 (I used Marquee) but couldn't find a way to do this, as loading the title and saving back to a bin seems to retain the 1:1 MXF format.

So is there a simple way to re-save the titles in a different format or do I need to recreate them from scratch?

Also another question about the source Canon footage, I think I read a post from George saying that DNxHD 185 was probably too high and DNxHD 120 would be ok, what are your thoughts on this?

Oh yes not using Expert Render did render everything with no residual unrendered elements,  so is Expert Render the default when a segment is exported?

Thanks again

Dean

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:41 PM In reply to

Dean Murray:
    so I thought I'd try and save some of the titles as DNxHD 185 (I used Marquee) but couldn't find a way to do this, as loading the title and saving back to a bin seems to retain the 1:1 MXF format.

Go into the media creation section of your user settings, where you can set the resolution and disk destination for each different type of media and go to the appropriate tab.

Dean Murray:

So is there a simple way to re-save the titles in a different format or do I need to recreate them from scratch?

Yes. Select all the title clips in the bin and delete ONLY THE ASSOCIATED MEDIA FILES, NOT THE MASTER CLIPS. Then, from the clip menu, choose "re-create title media".

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 3:01 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Go into the media creation section of your user settings, where you can set the resolution and disk destination for each different type of media and go to the appropriate tab.

Thanks I've made the changes and it worked fine.

Larry Rubin:

Yes. Select all the title clips in the bin and delete ONLY THE ASSOCIATED MEDIA FILES, NOT THE MASTER CLIPS. Then, from the clip menu, choose "re-create title media".

This one was a little more problematic, I followed your instructions and ie: "Delete 3 associated media files" and the two "Resolutions to delete" and from the clip menu used the "Create Unrendered Title Media..." which created the DNxHD 185 media.

I then cleared the renders on the timeline and re-rendered the offending area and was told "Media Offline" so I replaced all the titles with the newly created ones in the bin.  Did I do anything wrong?

Anyway the good news is that the rendered timeline plays perfectly and I understand a little bit more about Media Composer.

Dean

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 3:24 PM In reply to

No, you didn't do anything wrong. Since you needed to change the resolution,to prevent clutter and duplication, you either delete the existing media files, which create a media offline condition, or transcode the existing clips in the timeline to a different resolution. Having done both, I find the first option faster than transcoding. If you don't mind having duplicated media files on your system, you could leave the original titles online and then use "re-create title media" to create new media files at a different resolution.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:27 PM In reply to

Hi Larry,

Sorry to ask possibly a silly question but from what you explained,  I needed to replace the titles as I did?

Is that correct?

Dean

• Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:46 PM In reply to

Not replace the titles as such but the media that allows them to playback.

Unless you have imported files with mattes or have mixdowns my prefered choice is to delete renders (or use MDV to move them offline in case I need one back later!)

The re-render and re-create titles after ensuring the media creation settings are all correct.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jan 6 2012 3:09 PM In reply to

Dean Murray:
    I needed to replace the titles as I did?

You did not need to physically replace the titles in the Sequence from the Bin.  

On a sample seq, create two Titles both at the same resolution.  

Mark In/Out so that only one of the Titles is encompassed.

Set your Media Creation settings for Titles appropriately to change the resolution

Choose Re-Create Title media.

You'll see that the one title between the marks will be changed to the new resolution, the other will be untouched.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 8:21 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Not replace the titles as such but the media that allows them to playback.

Unless you have imported files with mattes or have mixdowns my prefered choice is to delete renders (or use MDV to move them offline in case I need one back later!)

The re-render and re-create titles after ensuring the media creation settings are all correct.

Thanks Pat,

Following Larry's tips I removed and recreated the media in the bin and not on the timeline which I think is where I went wrong but thanks to Kenton's post too it's all a bit clearer now, although I assumed (I know I shouldn't) it would update the timeline too.

Dean

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller