Latest post Mon, Aug 1 2011 5:29 AM by Clement Canino. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 31 2011 3:39 PM

• TheMarS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 11 2007
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

5D footage with MC 5.5 on a HP 8540w notebook, any feedback?

Hello, I want to buy a laptop for editing with Media Composer 5.5.

The footage comes from a Canon 5D and Panasonic HVX-200 (P2).

I'm particularly interested in the HP EliteBook 8540w, the alternative is a MacBook Pro.

Is anyone using these laptops with MC? Can anyone give me some feedback?

The video play smothly in full resolution? Any issue with AMA? Any problem using MXO2 mini or Mojo SDI? Anyone use USB 3 external disc for media storage?

Any response or advice is welcome.

Greetings,

Martin

• Sun, Jul 31 2011 8:29 PM In reply to

Re: 5D footage with MC 5.5 on a HP 8540w notebook, any feedback?

TheMarS:

Hello, I want to buy a laptop for editing with Media Composer 5.5.

The footage comes from a Canon 5D and Panasonic HVX-200 (P2).

I'm particularly interested in the HP EliteBook 8540w, the alternative is a MacBook Pro.

Is anyone using these laptops with MC? Can anyone give me some feedback?

The video play smothly in full resolution? Any issue with AMA? Any problem using MXO2 mini or Mojo SDI? Anyone use USB 3 external disc for media storage?

Any response or advice is welcome.

Greetings,

Martin

I'm using an 8540w with 8Gb RAM and Win7Pro and I absolutely love it! Prior to the 8540 I had a 17inch 8730w which turned out to be a real workhorse in its own right - last year I used it to cut a 30min piece in the middle of the bush in northern Limpopo province in South Africa and it came back so dirty I had to use an air compressor to clean out all the dirt and grime. But it never missed a beat. The HPs laptops rock! I shoot P2 on an HPX-174 and you've got a choice of firewire, eSata and USB3.0 on the 8450w to connect your external media drives. If you connect a G-Tech GRAID via eSata you'll get realtime playback on an unrendered Spectramatte clip in a 1080i sequence in green/yellow mode. I haven't tried editing from a USB3.0 connection enough to be able to come to a clear conclusion, although I can tell you the eSata option works perfectly, even in HD sequences. 

Believe it or not, I managed to cut P2HD media in a sequence from a dual USB 2.0 connection from a 1TB Lacie Rugged drive - the system only started slowing down once the sequence got longer than 15mins!

No issues on mine with a Matrox Mini of SDI Mojo although I have noticed that more complex sequences work easier in software only mode. AMA works just like on any other Avid system.  

Compared to the older 8730w the 8540w has a much brighter screen. I use a small Wacom tablet and a thin USB/Mac Avid keyboard with mine. Everything fits nicely into a standard laptop bag. Also, get a car/aircraft charger and you're ready to edit anywhere and anytime. I've cut a 10min promo in the back of Land Rover on the drive back from a shoot :)      

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 1 2011 5:29 AM In reply to

Re: 5D footage with MC 5.5 on a HP 8540w notebook, any feedback?

One thing to note: the usb3 ports on that machine are NOT full bandwidth!  I made the mistake of believing HP propaganda, then found out that "minor" detail when I tried to use a Blackmagic Design usb3 capture device and got a "device has exceeded the available bandwidth for the port" message. Both HP and BMD agreed the ports were only 1/2 bandwidth because they share the e-sata bus. E-sata seems fine though and I have run 5.5 on it with an extra internal drive and an e-sata raid with no problems.

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller