Latest post Thu, May 19 2011 6:28 PM by Marty. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 12 2011 1:03 PM

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

Load LUT

I get more and more Alexa LOG-C footage which is too flat to edit.
    I can apply a CC filter but that doesn't work with masterclips/subclips, only sequences. 

We need a way to add LUT's or colorcorrect masterclips/subclips. 

A better AMA plug-in for Quicktime, like the RED AMA plug, maybe.

I noticed that in MC 5.5 you can change the levels of QT's in "Source Settings" - and there is a greyed button "Load".
    Could that be a hint of using LUT's in a future release of the Quicktime AMA plug?? Would be great!

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Sat, Mar 12 2011 4:18 PM In reply to

Re: Load LUT

Yes LUT's are a much needed feature, ideally something that is part of the monitoring path.

I am working with S-log footage off HDcamSR, so not only for file based workflow.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 12 2011 4:19 PM In reply to

Yeah. we know you DS people have it :)

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 13 2011 11:36 PM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

;)

We'll trade you for AMA.

-M

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Thu, Apr 21 2011 6:03 PM In reply to

• F Sauve
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011
    • Montréal
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Our current workflow is to take every original clip, create a new sequence for each with the same exact file name and start TC, apply CC, render in 10bits, export to DNxHD 36. This becomes our rec709 offline editing master and it relinks to the original AppleProrez when done.

It is very time consuming and frustrating, because 3/4 of the code is already written in the MC 5.5 software. It took a year to get the RED AMA plug-in, how long will it take for an Alexa LUT AMA to arrive?

Back to rendering........

Multiple Mac and PC running MC5.x [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 21 2011 6:08 PM In reply to

I've successfully used Alexicc by LightIllusion (Steve Shaw and Jamie Parry). It's basically applying one of two ICC profiles to convert the 4:4:4 clips into Rec709, even with conversion to DNxHD Quicktimes if you like.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 22 2011 3:55 PM In reply to

• F Sauve
    • Not Ranked
    • Montréal
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Thank you for the information. I had come across the software a while ago but actually never tried it.

One of the big issue we had to deal was the fact that original files (4444) are actually 10 bits and if we didn't do a full DNxHD175X render first of our color correction, (with the render forced at 16bits instead of automatic) we would get banding and solarizing.

Running daillies and editor material with such degradation was not an option. In that respect the demo leaves a lot of questions, I would have preffered a watermark instead of a voluntary posterizing, I will write LightIllusion on this one.

As we move forward to an all digital acquisition, I can only hope Avid keeps up the pace, and does not leave the door open to more ''why don't you use FCP, it works'' kind of remark from our clients.

• Fri, Apr 22 2011 7:03 PM In reply to

F Sauve:
    Thank you for the information. I had come across the software a while ago but actually never tried it.

Works rather well. You might want to try it out.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 22 2011 8:48 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Works rather well.
    Looks really good. Interesting that the price for the full package is very close to that of a full copy of MC 5.5.

• Fri, Apr 22 2011 9:17 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Interesting that the price for the full package is very close to that of a full copy of MC 5.5.

I'm talking about Alexicc, which I see listed for 220 GBP. The Spaceman package involves much more. Alexicc is the combination of an ICC profile that converts Log-C to 709 and a batch encoder that performs this conversion through Quicktime. It includes the option to transcode to DNxHD.

• Fri, Apr 22 2011 10:14 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    I'm talking about Alexicc,
    Guessed that might be the case. Then looking at the rest of the package and thought when I needed one part I would probably need the lot! (2300GBP)

• Tue, Apr 26 2011 6:49 PM In reply to

• F Sauve
    • Not Ranked
    • Montréal
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Used the demo and the conversion through QuickTime ColorSync and icc profiles. In my opinion it is a little too approximate. We have the chance of working with a DOP who is very aware of the issues we have in post, and shot for us color and gray scale charts in both Log-C and rec 709. The files were recorded in a studio setup with otherwise the exact same settings. Our 'fake' LUT, color correction preset, was based on these, and tweaked using waveform and vectorscope. This is strictly used for dailies and offline, but on a 20 shot for a major network it's gotta be pretty close, right? It's not giving a look, simply Log-C to rec 709, flat.

When we compared the output of Alexicc and the corresponding rec 709 recording, it's not really acceptable. We submitted this issue and others small things to LightIllusion and the short answer is to basically use Spaceman..

I don't mind spending money to work around something that is not yet in MC but it's not very well invested if the developpers come up with LUT's in MC 5.5.x or 5.6

So back to the original question: What is Avid doing about LUT's!?!?!?!??

• Fri, Apr 29 2011 11:11 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

I remember the headache with Red files in the past. And I was looking for tools like "Jamfuze"...

Alexicc is a great tool but I hope that Arri will develop an AMA plug-in like Red.

And it would be great to colorcorrect masterclips/subclips inside Avid including the use of LUT's.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Mon, May 2 2011 5:55 PM In reply to

• jamieparry
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 20 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

hiya

I'm not sure i can fix ALL your issues but maybe i can do something about the basics...

if you put your log-c chart and the corresponding 709 one up I'll see how close I can get them at home (on my development iMac!) and then see what's required to make it better for you. I may have to twist Steve's arm for one more LUT but i'm a good arm twister :-)

also it may be as simple as rgb/709 mismatches at my end of things but knowing what my targets are is a good start.

if i can help i would like to.

I only write my software stuff so people can get home quicker to their families with less stress.

if you can post up/dropbox the prores files i'll look into it asap

I don't think spaceman should be needed for just a "best-fit" log-c to 709 type thing....

all the best

jamie 

• Sun, May 8 2011 4:04 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

hello jamie,

did you find out why MC 5.5 can't read the MXF-files created be Alexicc?

I started a project with Alexicc-MXF files in 5.0 and had to edit somewhere else with 5.5 but all files where media offline and I had to downgrade to 5.0.

cheers

www.film-editing.de

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller