Latest post Mon, Feb 28 2011 8:20 PM by Andyman. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:53 PM

• Andyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,640

Disappearing project

Nitris DX, MC5, HPZ400

This is really weird. One of my projects now shows up empty. Nothing but a single bin with nothing in it. I checked the media tool and it too shows zilch. However, when I open the sequence bin I had previously backed up on a DVD, everything in the timeline shows up intact. I rechecked the media tool and still no media shows up there.

So I drag all of the original bins from the DVD rom back into the project and everything shows up in the bins (btw-the attic shows up nada, too). Again, I check the media tool and it still shows me no media or rendered fxs from this project. I've rebooted and powered down multiple times and rechecked and unchecked "read only" files and tried relinking the files, but still nothing shows up in the media tool. I can play the sequnce just fine now but according to the Avid it doesn't exist.

Out of 20-30 projects, this apparently the only one affected. Why is this one a ghost project?

MC 5.5.3, Nitris DX, HP Z400, Win 7 Pro

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:55 PM In reply to

Re: Disappearing project

Hi,

Weird.  Have you tried deleting the project settings or media database files?

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:03 PM In reply to

Andy:

Carl is steering you in the right direction. If nothing shows up in the media tool, rebuild the media database files. Quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Also, make sure you are following the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:15 PM In reply to

• Andyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,640

After I posted this I remembered to try rebuilding the media data base. Still nothing. I don't understand how I can play the sequence and see my clips in their bins?

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:22 PM In reply to

Andyman:
    Out of 20-30 projects, this apparently the only one affected.

This usually indicates that the "(Project name)settings.avs" file in that specific project folder is corrupted. Quit the app, trash that file and re-launch and let's see what happens. If the problem still persists, try creating and using a new user profile.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:13 PM In reply to

• Andyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,640

I think you nailed it, Larry. I deleted the project AND empty the trash as I think the corrupt project settings file was corrupting or at least giving the appearance of corrupting the DVD file.

When I would click on the project on the hard drive it would show nothing and then when I clicked on the DVD file it also showed nothing even though I know it is a good file. Once I completely deleted the original project file and empty the trash I restored the project from the DVD and all is well now.

Thanks for the help.

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:48 PM In reply to

I don't think you can open a project from read only media (like a DVD) as Media Composer won't be abel to write to the project to update it. This can also happen if the project has read only permissions.

So you could also possibly have had a permissions problem which may have been solved by deleting and recovering.

Maybe a check of the driver permissions wouldn't be a bad move.

Also in media tool did you try selecting all projects to see if the media did show up rather than just current project?

Glad it's sorted.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 8:20 PM In reply to

• Andyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,640

You can open a project "bin" from a DVD within another project (in this case the same project) but you can't save any changes to it. I may have misspoke earlier.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller