Latest post Fri, Feb 25 2011 7:52 AM by Pat Horridge. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:07 PM

• Jay Tee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 19 2009
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

software licence and laptop use

Hi,

I installed MC 5 on a Mac laptop via a software licence a few months ago. All was working well until I tried to open the software when working in a different location and it will not open now. Does the location of the laptop make a difference to using the software? I am now using a different IP address from the one it was installed under. The licence was called Node Locked. Does this have any limitations in use?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:24 PM In reply to

Re: software licence and laptop use

Jay Tee:
    I am now using a different IP address from the one it was installed under.

Yes I believe that is the issue. Please call 1-800-800-2843 and choose option #2. They can assist you with this.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:39 PM In reply to

"Software Activation" is tied to the Ethernet/NIC MAC address.  This is embedded into the hardware and cannot be changed.  Changing the IP address shouldn't affect your activation.

Laptops often have WiFi built in, as well as Ethernet.  This means there can be two Mac Addresses.  Ethernet is always available.  However, the WiFi Mac Address comes & goes when you enable/disable Wifi.  If you turn on WiFi, the primary Mac address can switch from the Ethernet to Wifi or vise-versa.

If you activated with WiFi enabled, that might be the Mac Address that was used.  When you connected to a hard-wired Ethernet cable, the primaru Mac Address may have changed to that one.

I so love dongles. Huh?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:45 PM In reply to

Good catch, Randall.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:45 PM In reply to

• Jay Tee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 19 2009
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Randall L Rike:

"Software Activation" is tied to the Ethernet/NIC MAC address.  This is embedded into the hardware and cannot be changed.  Changing the IP address shouldn't affect your activation.

Laptops often have WiFi built in, as well as Ethernet.  This means there can be two Mac Addresses.  Ethernet is always available.  However, the WiFi Mac Address comes & goes when you enable/disable Wifi.  If you turn on WiFi, the primary Mac address can switch from the Ethernet to Wifi or vise-versa.

If you activated with WiFi enabled, that might be the Mac Address that was used.  When you connected to a hard-wired Ethernet cable, the primaru Mac Address may have changed to that one.

I so love dongles. Huh?

Thanks for the replies. I have always used a wifi connection, not ethernet to use the software. So are you saying that the software should work, regardless of where I am using it? If so, then why isn't it working? 

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:56 PM In reply to

"... then why isn't it working?  ..."

Probably becuse the "primary" Mac Address has changed.  We even have this issue on desktop systems that have 2 Ethernet ports.  Try disabling the Ethernet port in System Preferences > Network.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 3:22 AM In reply to

Dongles are the best. Especially in a facility like mine where we reimage multiple (hundreds) of computers often. ProTools uses ILok, why can't Avid move to iLok, if they are dead set on getting rid of Avid dongles, as well?

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 25 2011 7:52 AM In reply to

Yes locking the activation to the MAC address is a real pain on the Mac systems as most have Airport and one or more ethernet adapters. We have similar issues with our Imacs running Avid for training. the software won;t launch if the wireless is activated as the machines were setup with ethernet on. And on our Mac Pro we have to use the "right" ethernet port.

A more flexible and robust solution needs to be found if end users aren't to be wound up by activation issues.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller