Latest post Mon, May 9 2011 10:31 PM by liltmoomin. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 24 2011 8:19 AM

Avid media custom metadata - vanished after AMC crash (MC3.0 - MAC)

Hi there.

I have had a couple of days trying in vain to find a way of fixing a fault that occurred after MC (on a MBP 10.5) crashed whilst working as an assistant on a long-form doc. The project is mostly native Nanoflash MXF files stripped into separate streams via the standard avid import dialogue, where it recognises them as XDCAM media and 'fast' imports.

The project media is spread across 6 x 1TB partitions and all media has been left with its original alphanumeric file names as requested by the editor. In order to log the footage (around 55 hours), I had created a decent naming scheme, using a custom "Description" column in a custom bin view for all the rushes which was then searchable in Media Tool to find selected shots for me/the producer/the director.

This worked fine until the system crashed during normal operation with most of the bins open. When I reopened the MC, all of my custom metadata (save a handful of clips) was gone. I went back to the last backup of the project, where the clip names were intact, and then imported only the sequence bin I had been working on into this backup project. I then checked a few things, and went to sift in the Media Tool for some footage. In the media tool, the custom 'Description' metadata is no longer visible, and though I have deleted database files among some other things, and renamed a few clips to no avail.

It seems that the link between the metadata replaced in the bins, and that which is normally within the Media Tool (and possibly attached to the media itself) has been severed. I cannot find any way of reinstating this metdata, and even when I have added them back in by hand inside Media Tool, their appearance is not guaranteed upon next opening the project.

Does anybody know of any reason for this, and any way to remedy it. I am working in the backup media, and there is another set of media at a remote facility, where I have been delivering updates to the project file for relinking. I don't want to break anything by sending my non-working projects to them, but have no other way of working currently.

If anybody can help at all, I'd really appreciate it, as I feel I'm exhausting my current knowledge about the inner workings of MC.

Thanks in advance.

--Ian

Mac OSX 10.5.2/10.5.7 - Avid Media Composer Software 3.1.2 (for 10.5.2) - Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 24 2011 8:55 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Avid media custom metadata - vanished after AMC crash (MC3.0 - MAC)

It could be as simple as the name of the custom field not being identical to what you had before.  

Did you view the Media Tool window with the same Bin View that contained your custom Description field?

If you opened the last backup of the project where the clip names were intact did the Description field appear?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 10:51 AM In reply to

Hi hbrock,

I have made sure that the custom column is exactly the same, and I have checked that I have the same bin view on both the bins and within the media tool. The metadata is still not there.

To make things worse, I have now found that some of the data in the custom 'Description' column within the bins has also now disappeared when the project has been reopened. I'm at a loss as to what to do with this, as I can't keep re-entering data every time the project is opened, and also I cannot find a way of copying and pasting entire columns from my spreadsheet that has the same data in it. I would seemingly have to take each piece of clip data and paste that into the custom column, when until I can find the problem, I'm likely to have to keep repeating this process indefinitely.

Does anybody have any advice on any of these things? Even if it is to explain to me where the metadata for custom columns is stored, so that I can figure out whether it is an issue with metadata in the clips in the Avid MediaFiles folder, or within the project data, or both. At the moment I really don't know what to do with this.

Thanks hbrock, and I hope somebody has a little more advice.

Kind regards,

Ian

Mac OSX 10.5.2/10.5.7 - Avid Media Composer Software 3.1.2 (for 10.5.2) - Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:16 PM In reply to

You can export as an ALE a bin with the required headings displayed.

You can then export and import via Avid Log exchange various flavours of that data.

So that maybe a way of getting the clips out and merged into your spreadsheet and then re-imported back into MC.

No idea how or why it went wrong.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 1:06 PM In reply to

My experience is that the custom columns that you create in a bin are unique, you cannot create a column with same name and expect it to populate with information from a another column with the same name.

I do not think that custom bin information is stored in the media, but in the project.

Please excuse me for suggesting the obvious, but you have saved a bin configuration that has the custom columns and used that setting for the bins that have lost the column?

Edit:

Yes ignore me, I have reread carefully your first post.

I have had problems with disappearing descriptions and found duplicate custom headings as the culprit.

Very frustrating.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 12:40 PM In reply to

Hi.

Thanks for all comments.

I'm still pretty lost as to why this has happened and will see if I can figure this out.

The thing I'm interested in doing now, is to create a new custom colum with a different name (which I have done, and which reacts normally now) and take whole columns from my excel spreadsheet and paste them into the relevant bin columns. Pat Horridge touched upon this using ALE. I cannot find the Avid Log Exchange program on the laptop where things are installed, and cannot find anywhere to download this. Can I just bring the ALE file into Excel, paste things into the relevant place, and then bring it back into Avid somehow? I have kind of tried it without success. And the thing that I don't want to do is create something that would be ready for batch-import from this new bin information, I merely want to add the correct data into this new column, where it is being correctly refreshed into the Media Tool column.

I can only guess that somehow the crash permanently did damage to me using the column name 'Description' and now I have selected a new column, it allows me to work as normal. Lets just hope that if I ever get this fixed, I don't have another crash and have to start again.

Thanks everyone, and if you can help me work this process through I might actually have something pretty much working again. And that would be very cool...

Thanks.

--Ian

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 1:36 PM In reply to

try looking at this post -

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/87590.aspx

The response from Michael P may help you set up the excel so it will give you a file that avid will happily import. Basically to save it as a Tab delimited file, making sure you have the column headings identically named.

I imagine you would then want to relink the files to the existing media on a designated drive which will link to them via Tape / source and timecode.

So the initial ALE you export from the Avid bin would have to have the Tape and start and end columns along with your custom headings. Save the setting as a bin view preset. Export the clips as a .ALE. Open the file ( which you might need to give a new xtension of .txt ) into excel which will have a series of questions as to how you want the info separated into excel fields ( Choose tab delimited ), check that the column headings are at the top as Michael P suggests. Put your necessary info into the relevant columns in Excel then Save as, choose other formats and then select Text ( tab Delimited ) from the save as type option... and try import into avid , then relink???

hope that helps?

Avid Media Composer 4. 05, Nitris box, Unity OS X 10 .6.2 PC Vista w/ nitris box,HP 8600 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 3:31 PM In reply to

Hi Anders,

I'm afraid that didn't all that much. As I have been unable to reimport the files I create through this process.

I have tried creating both ALE and TXT tab delimited files, which I can import into excel/open-office every time, but I have not been able to re-import these files into the Avid, even when I do not change/add any information.

I can see how this would work, if I could get this to import. Is there any more detailed explanation of how to do this. I can upload the .txt or .ALE files if it will be of any help to anyone.

ALSO, the Avid Log Exchange program does not appear to be installed on either of the machines I have access to. Does anybody know where I can download this program. I don't currently want to try and re-install the whole setup, just to see if it installs along with it.

Thanks a lot.

--Ian

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 3:50 PM In reply to

are you able to export the ale from a bin and then immediately import it back in a gain, which would then double the amount of clips in the bin but half of them would be offline? Only asking to check that a ' normal Ale import will work...

Avid Media Composer 4. 05, Nitris box, Unity OS X 10 .6.2 PC Vista w/ nitris box,HP 8600 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 4:06 PM In reply to

Hi Anders,

I get the error seen in the image attached to this.

I'm guessing that it requires a 'tape' field, even though there are no tapes?

error message

Thanks.

--Ian

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 4:08 PM In reply to

I tried to post a picture of the error message that I got, which didn't seem to post properly.

Anyway, it gives me a message saying that a tape name was expected but not present. I presume it requires a 'tape' field, even though are no tapes for the project?

Thanks.

--Ian

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 4:57 PM In reply to

Even though you have no tape source information are you including it when you export the original ale from Avid?

If it helps you could use Metacheater to give your clips a tape name and then try going through the process.

In metacheater in the camera options you can choose to duplicate the clip name into the tapename and then press process, then save the list ( which is an ale ), import into AVID and then batchimport from the quicktimes...

however this possibly doesn't help your original problem...

i tried a test of exporting a .ale changing it in excel and then reimporting it and it didn't work, i didn't get that error message as the clips have tapenames.

If you're interested it might be worth looking at the AVID documentation for the RED workflow as really the information is relevant for all file-based workflows, and if you can follow it it might give you some ideas?

• Mon, May 9 2011 10:31 PM In reply to

Hi.

Just trying to follow up on this, as I am in a later stage of the project. Thanks to all the previous responses, though there was no real solution as yet.

I have begun to try to bring in some other footage from a second period of shooting, and when I look through the previous bins, many of the "source file" names are wrong on the first section of footage. This, I think, may be part of the same problem with metadata from before.

I now also need to be able to rename the "name" column when the editor adds his own information to the clips, so will rely upon the "source file" column to get back to the original clips if needed. I am very concerned about the state of this now, and wondered if anybody could offer any advice in terms of correcting the "source file" names or something (maybe even reimporting the offending files if necessary).

Are there any media-management/metadata geniuses out there who can help me get to the bottom of this?

Thanks to all before, and in advance to anybody who may respond.

Kind regards,

-Ian

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller