Latest post Tue, Jul 5 2011 8:08 PM by Andrew_G. 21 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 25 2011 4:38 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: Color Spaces in Import, Export, and CC

Well that's the issue with many of the codecs wrapped in QuickTime is the fact they don't declare their color/gamma space, then add to that QuickTime trying to be helpful and change it for you during the decode, etc. And in some cases, the essence just plain lies about what it is.

So that being said, the column information informs the user as to what mapping or not was applied to the file when pointed to during AMA, or what was baked in during a transcode. That is helpful for when questions like:

"why do the blacks look more crushed than normal?" They look to the column and see that for some reason it was set to "expand" when it didn't need to be.

or

"Send a bin and conform back via AMA" There will be consistency in the levels applied to those files.

Is is a LUT? No. But it is a small step forward in managing unexpected results when AMA'ing to QuickTime wrapped essence.

Michael

24p.com

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 5:50 PM In reply to

Yes just had a classic case today.

Avid DV 420 media. Exported timeline as QT DV PAL with 601 selected.

Imported (fast import) and levels all lifted. Can't change import levels as it's a fast import.

So it looks like Avid mis read the QT as RGB and re-mapped to 601 for levels that where already 601 and it was the file Avid made!

So I tried re-exporting as RGB levels and re-importing as RGB levels. No fast import and levels re-mapped but still wrong (blacks up) didn't have a chance to see if importing as 601 would finally bring it right but it looks like the Avid export set at RGB levels actually did a 601 export and flagged it wrong (or does it flag at all)

It's end of day Friday and my feet ache from all this "dancing"

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 6:14 PM In reply to

Hi, just want to help out a bit.

I recently discoverd, that when you create Quicktimes (not QTref) with an avid codec. you have to be very careful in your settings. In you export settings, whatever you choose there, won't affect the way Avid will FAST IMPORT (only the way avid will normal import -  and the way quicktime will play your file)

so this setting for FAST IMPORT will not do much, you must go and dig deeper!
    -now go to format options
    -in movie settings go to the Video and the Settings... tab
    -then you enter in the Standered Video Compression Settings
    -go to the Options... at the bottom and enter
    -make sure that THERE you have selected ITU-R601 ----this is what AVID looks for when fast importing!!!

I hope this helps!
    so the FLAGGING like you said should be on two levels, like in the first image, and like in the second image.

wim

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 6:35 PM In reply to

PS

with QT same as source, avid codec checked
    -the export 'flag' for avid fast import will always be 601. (you cannot dig deeper and change it)
    -selecting 601 or RGB will only make a difference in viewing in QTplayer, or NONE fast imports

with QT ref,  avid codec checked
    -the export 'flag' for avid fast import will always be 601. (you cannot dig deeper and change it)
    -selecting 601 or RGB will only make a difference in viewing in QTplayer, or NONE fast imports

When importing, Avid will always FAST IMPORT when File Pixel to Video Mapping is set to:
    -Computer RGB, dither image colors
    -601/709

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 10:01 PM In reply to

MichaelP:
    Well that's the issue with many of the codecs wrapped in QuickTime is the fact they don't declare their color/gamma space, then add to that QuickTime trying to be helpful and change it for you during the decode, etc. And in some cases, the essence just plain lies about what it is.

So that being said, the column information informs the user as to what mapping or not was applied to the file when pointed to during AMA, or what was baked in during a transcode. That is helpful for when questions like:

"why do the blacks look more crushed than normal?" They look to the column and see that for some reason it was set to "expand" when it didn't need to be.

or

"Send a bin and conform back via AMA" There will be consistency in the levels applied to those files.

Is is a LUT? No. But it is a small step forward in managing unexpected results when AMA'ing to QuickTime wrapped essence.

Michael

Michael,

As you mentioned there seems to be two areas where QT can screwup the image: Color levels and gamma.

Will there be an option to adjust the gamma as well or is it only going to be color levels?

Of course all this speaks to the need for applying CC to source clips and LUT's (like you mentioned).

Thanks for your help.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Jul 5 2011 8:07 PM In reply to

• Andrew_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 5 2011
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Job ter Burg:
    Also, I wrote this PDF about RGB versus 601/709 when importing/exporting with Avid. Might help.

Hey Job,

I'm having trouble viewing your link. Can you verify this link is still active?

Thanks!

Andrew

• Tue, Jul 5 2011 8:08 PM In reply to

• Andrew_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 5 2011
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Job ter Burg:
    Also, I wrote this PDF about RGB versus 601/709 when importing/exporting with Avid. Might help.

Hey Job,

I'm having trouble viewing your link. Can you verify that it is still active?

Thanks!

Andrew

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller