Latest post Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:48 PM by Pat Horridge. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 11:09 PM

• Cellarman999
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 4 2010
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,095

Cloning a system drive with MC5 on it.. Qs

Hi all

I am in the enviable position of having been gien a 3 month old 1.5 TB SATA drive :)

My system drive is 500Gb .I could use W7's 'create an image' facility and copy to the new one.. just wondering if MC  (or CS4 for that matter) will protest.. I don't really want to install everything again having a working system and risking it.

Ayone had experience with this

many thanks

Cellarman

Gigabyte mb Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo nVidia FX 570 256Mb Win 7 Pro 64 Bit 8GB DDR2 3.5 Tb over two HDs MC 5.04 CS4 [view my complete system specs]

reagrds

Cellarman999

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:33 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

Re: Cloning a system drive with MC5 on it.. Qs

If you're asking about license activation, I guess it depends on whether MC and CS4 use your drive serial number as part of what constitutes the machine ID? No idea - sorry. You should be able to disable the license for both MC 5 and CS4 and then re-enable the license once you're up and running on the 1.5 TB drive.

This may be moot, but why do you want a 1.5 TB system drive? Is it faster than your 500 GB drive?

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:36 PM In reply to

• Cellarman999
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 4 2010
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,095

Thanks for the reply..

Yes the drive is faster and younger too.. 'seemed' logical... can't do any harm to try can it.. It is a non-destructive test :)

regards

Cellarman

Gigabyte mb Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo nVidia FX 570 256Mb Win 7 Pro 64 Bit 8GB DDR2 3.5 Tb over two HDs MC 5.04 CS4 [view my complete system specs]

reagrds

Cellarman999

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:39 PM In reply to

Hi,

There's some information about the software activation aspects of cloing at this link:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/LegacySearch?DocId=277611

If you're using a dongle, none of that applies and you can clone away.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:48 PM In reply to

Most software will at worst ask to activate again and that should just work. But it's safer to deactivate first.

I'd clone then try the clone. If it works ok fine if it needs to re-activate then let it. It it won;t because the original activation is still enabled, boot from the original, deactivate, boot from the clone, activate.

But I'd don't advice large boot drives. The technology to cram more GB into the same platter space would seem to suggest more likelyhood of issues in the future and a large boot drive just begs to become full of rubbish. Also a faster boot drive only gains a small boost during startup and application launch. When running you gain little.

You'll gain more adding the second drive as a second drive. Set your page file to that drive and disable it on the boot drive.Use that drive for projects and all the other graphic junk that collects.

You can even run images of you boot drive and save them to the second drive so you can recover a failed boot drive in the future (and a failed boot drive is less of a show stopped as your media and projects aren't on it)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller