Latest post Wed, Feb 23 2011 9:09 PM by newsense. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:44 PM

• newsense
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Posts 58
    • Points 740

Help with importing HD video

Hi I am using M.C 5 and am trying to import video from my Hauppauge HD PVR 1212. The specs are as follows:

-H.264 AVCHD hardware encoder

-recording datarate 1-13.5 ( I am using 13.5)

-resolutions up to 1080i (I am using 720P60)

-recording formats: AVCHD (TS, M2TS, and MP4)

-AAC and AC3 audio 2 channel or 5.1 (I am using 2 channel)

I recorded six-one minute long test videos using every combination of audio/video format in 720P/60FPS and these are the results:

-M2TS/AAC - audio format not supported for AVCHD import

-M2TS/AC3 - seems to work but right at the end of the estimated 3 minutes to import I get an error "Exception:a serious error has occured!" and than recommends restarting MC.

-TS/AAC - audio format not supported for AVCHD import

-TS/AC3 - seems to work but right at the end of the estimated 3 minutes to import I get an error "Exception:a serious error has occured!" and than recommends restarting MC.

-MP4/AAC - that imported but took 15 minutes for a one minute video, is that normal it seems kind of long?

-MP4/AC3 - imported but also took 15 minutes, no error about the auido this time, any reason?

Which format should I use and which MC import option do I choose to get the best quality with minimal loss. Thanks in advance. If any more information is needed I am happy to provide any further information.

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 8:33 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 37,770

Re: Help with importing HD video

Have you tried opening ay of these with AMA?

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 8:50 PM In reply to

• newsense
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 740

I am sorry but not sure what AMA is. The actual computer I am using isn't mine and the owner is away for a while so I can't ask him. Thank you for responding.

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 9:37 PM In reply to

Your on V5 so you have AMA.

If you have the files in a folder then in MC go to File and link to AMA volume. Navigate to the folder and see what happens.

If the clips come in ok they may playback but likley to be stuttery and difficult to play realtime.

But you can select the sections you want and then transcode to Avid media.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 10:03 PM In reply to

• newsense
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 740

Pat Horridge:

Your on V5 so you have AMA.

If you have the files in a folder then in MC go to File and link to AMA volume. Navigate to the folder and see what happens.

If the clips come in ok they may playback but likley to be stuttery and difficult to play realtime.

But you can select the sections you want and then transcode to Avid media.

Thanks that did work just for the mp4 files, the M2TS and TS didn't work and you were right they are quite stuttery, I found the transcode option but now that brings up my second question again. What format would I choose, there's quite a few, DNxHD 145 MXF, and quite a few others.

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:18 AM In reply to

• newsense
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 740

I played around with different formats for importing and from the few I tried they all seem to take me about 2 and a half hours just to import one eight minute video. I can't help but feel there's something I am doing wrong or is this just normal ?

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 4:12 AM In reply to

• Cagey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vista, CA
    • Posts 319
    • Points 3,990

AVCHD is a camera acquistion format, and is not meant for editing.  I'm not able to import or link to the AVCHD files from my Canon HD comera.  I have found that Cineform Neo HD or Neo Scene works great at converting my camera files.  The resulting files will link via AMA or import.  They have a free trial. There are other ways to convert your files.  Sorenson Squeeze is included with MC and ver 6.5 can convert some files.

Convert using a DNxHD codec.  The higher the number the lower the compress and the bigger the file size.

Keith

MC8.6.1, Z420 Xeon E5-2670, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080, DIGI002, Win 10 Pro 64-bit [view my complete system specs]

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that get binary, and those that don't.

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 4:28 AM In reply to

• newsense
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 740

Cagey:

AVCHD is a camera acquistion format, and is not meant for editing.  I'm not able to import or link to the AVCHD files from my Canon HD comera.  I have found that Cineform Neo HD or Neo Scene works great at converting my camera files.  The resulting files will link via AMA or import.  They have a free trial. There are other ways to convert your files.  Sorenson Squeeze is included with MC and ver 6.5 can convert some files.

Convert using a DNxHD codec.  The higher the number the lower the compress and the bigger the file size.

Keith

Thanks, that is very helpful. Where do I find this "Sorenson Squeeze" at? I couldn't find it anywhere in the MC options or as an external app in the Avid folder.

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:21 AM In reply to

• Cagey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vista, CA
    • Posts 319
    • Points 3,990

Squeeze is part of the Production Suite, which is included with boxed versions of MC or as a separate purchase. 

Are you on PC or Mac?

If PC then Squeeze should be listed in the application menu, if it is installed.

Keith

MC8.6.1, Z420 Xeon E5-2670, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080, DIGI002, Win 10 Pro 64-bit [view my complete system specs]

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that get binary, and those that don't.

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:27 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

Cagey:
    Squeeze is part of the Production Suite, which is included with boxed versions of MC
    But not with academic versions.  If you have an academic version you won't have the third-party apps.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 9:09 PM In reply to

• newsense
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 58
    • Points 740

Thanks once again guys, I don't have squeeze installed but I will get a trial of that or neoHD, anyone that used both have any pros and cons on the two, and just to clarify DNxHD codecs with a higher number are less compressed ? and what is HDV720P, how is the compression/quality with that ? Thanks in advance, I think I am on the right track here as long as transcoding in an external app is a little faster than using MC to do it.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller