Latest post Mon, Feb 21 2011 4:48 PM by mhamilton. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:04 PM

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

'Avid MediaFiles' not found. Why???

Hi there,

I've been through this before, but this time I can't solve the problem.

I've got some recently shot mxf files sitting in a folder on drive A.  I've got a brand new (empty) drive B that I want to import (into Avid) these files into, in a new project.  

But when, in this new project, I open a new bin and try to import these shots, I get the 'File 'Aviud MediaFiles' not found' message.

I've checked my import settings, and they're normal.  I tried to force the creation of an Avid Media Files folder by creating a title in this new project, and saving it to this new drive, but I get the same warning about there not being an Avid MediaFiles folder to save to.

Can anyone suggest what's going on?

I've repaired my disk permissions, by the way, and restarted my computer, all to no avail.

Mac Pro 6-Core, Mac OS 10.6.6 (which surprises me, by the way.  I thought it was 10.6.4.  My son may have upgraded the OS on his own... is that the problem?)

Regards,

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:07 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

Re: 'Avid MediaFiles' not found. Why???

should have added that I'm running Avid Media Composer 5.0.3

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:13 PM In reply to

"... I've got a brand new (empty) drive B that I want to import (into Avid) these files into, in a new project ..."

First, to use media in another project, you don't re-import the media.  Simply use File > Open Bin, and navigate to the Bin in the first project, and open it in the 2nd project.

As for the errors, are these drives internal or external?  How are they formatted?  Can you write to the drives at the desktop level, e.g., create a New Folder or create a text file?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:23 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:
    to use media in another project, you don't re-import the media.  Simply use File > Open Bin, and navigate to the Bin in the first project, and open it in teh 2nd project.

Yes, that works, but be careful when deleting time rolls around. If you "borrow" footage from project A inside project B in this manner, when you delete project A and it's media, any borrowed media in project B will also be deleted. To prevent that, consolidate the project A media while working in project B and use the .new files that consolidation creates in project B, which is now linked to project B.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 6:19 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

Thank you Randall and Larry.  

Randall:  they're external SATA drives in a FirmTek enclosure.  Mac-formatted, and yes, I just created a new folder in the drive I'm wanting to use for a new Avid MediaFiles folder.  So Finder can make files on this drive, but Avid can't.  I should have been clearer—I'm trying to import new footage into a new project.  I said "I open a bin and try to import these shots" when what I meant to say was that I create a new bin in this new project, and then try to import my new mxf footage (File/Import).  This leads to the 'Avid MediaFiles' not found message.  I don't understand why Avid doesn't simply create a new Avid MediaFiles folder as it usually does.  

Larry, thank you for the reminder abouty"borrowed" files.  I've been doing this quite a bit lately, and I'll have to start keeping notes.  What's your workflow re this?  If you're working in Project B and you borrow a bin from Project A, do you immediately consolodate, and only work with the new files?

I might create a new project on my Mac Book Pro.  It's still got 10.6.4 on it, and maybe that will be better.

I'll let you know,

Malcolm

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 6:31 PM In reply to

mhamilton:
    What's your workflow re this?  If you're working in Project B and you borrow a bin from Project A, do you immediately consolidate, and only work with the new files?

Yes, that's exactly what I would do, so that I would be working from the "re-linked" .new consolidated files, editing those clips into project B sequences with clips that are linked to project B from the start.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 6:38 PM In reply to

mhamilton:

Thank you Randall and Larry.  

Randall:  they're external SATA drives in a FirmTek enclosure.  Mac-formatted, and yes, I just created a new folder in the drive I'm wanting to use for a new Avid MediaFiles folder.  So Finder can make files on this drive, but Avid can't.  I should have been clearer—I'm trying to import new footage into a new project.  I said "I open a bin and try to import these shots" when what I meant to say was that I create a new bin in this new project, and then try to import my new mxf footage (File/Import).  This leads to the 'Avid MediaFiles' not found message.  I don't understand why Avid doesn't simply create a new Avid MediaFiles folder as it usually does.  

Larry, thank you for the reminder abouty"borrowed" files.  I've been doing this quite a bit lately, and I'll have to start keeping notes.  What's your workflow re this?  If you're working in Project B and you borrow a bin from Project A, do you immediately consolodate, and only work with the new files?

I might create a new project on my Mac Book Pro.  It's still got 10.6.4 on it, and maybe that will be better.

I'll let you know,

Malcolm

You don't need to make a folder on a new drive to allow Avid to Create media on that drive.

Avid will create the folders it needs from the root level of the drive.

You say these are mxf files? How where they created? Do they play in QT player?

Can you import other media ok (like an MP3 or a JPG?)

Does that media import and create Avid Media files on the drive?

A

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 6:40 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

Thanks again Larry.  

re my promblem of Avid refusing to create a MediaFiles folder on this new drive... does Avid do this if the drive is a bad one?

I've run Disk Utility on it to 'Repair' it, and Disk Utility thinks there's not a problem with the drive.  And yes, I can add folders to this drive at Finder level, but Avid refuses to do it.  Maybe the drive is a bad one.  Do you think?

Malcolm

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 6:59 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

I did this as a test:

1.  I created a new 'Avid MediaFiles' folder on another drive (after locking the one that was there)

2.  and then copied this new MediaFiles folder (which works nicely on this other drive) to my new 2TB drive

3.  when I try to import to this (legitimate, works elsewhere) Avid MediaFiles folder now that it's on this new drive... I get the 'Avid MediaFiles' not found message.

Does this mean that the new drive is a bad one?  (even though Disk Utility seems to think it's o.k., and even though Finder seems happy to work with it)

Malcolm

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 7:49 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

Hi all (including you, Pat) - - problem solved!

I reformatted the problem drive, that I had given a three word name (to differentiate my new project from one I'm still working on, for the same client), and gave it a shorter, simpler name.

Reopened my project, chose an mxf file to import (Pat, before it wouldn't import anything), and it imported perfectly.

Is this a known issue... that drive names have to be kept short and simple?

Regards,

Malcolm

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 8:19 PM In reply to

Possibly Malcolm, but Pat is right when he points out that if you currently don't have the media folder structure on any given media drive, importing a file or a short capture from tape will result in the system creating the correct folder structure on the media drive and saving the associated file correctly. The specific path will be:

X:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1,2,3, etc. where "X" represents a specific media drive.

For your reference, here are the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 10:14 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

Hi Larry,

Yes I understand what you're saying... that Avid creates it's own Avid MediaFiles folder, when you first save anything to a new drive.  But this didn't work for me this time.  Thinking that maybe it was my media that was causing the problem, I did the exercise I described in an earlier post... to re-cap:  

- thinking that if Avid didn't like my new mxf media (and therefore wouldn't create a MediaFiles folder), I could get around this problem by creating a title in Avid (Avid can't object to a title made within the app), and saving that.  So I created a title, and hit 'Save', and told it to save to my new (empty) drive.  I was sure it would create an Avid MediaFiles folder.  But it didn't!

The only thing that worked (finally) was to reformat the drive and give it a new shorter name.  I know it sounds crazy, but this seemed to work.

Relieved to be up and running again!

Regards, Malcolm

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 10:48 PM In reply to

mhamilton:
    So I created a title, and hit 'Save', and told it to save to my new (empty) drive.  I was sure it would create an Avid MediaFiles folder.  But it didn't!

That's really bizarre, but I'm glad you found a workaround. Very strange, though.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Feb 20 2011 11:26 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The drive name must be under 27 characters.  I think it's for compatibility with Windowz.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Feb 21 2011 4:48 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,755

That's probably it then.

I'll give my drives shorter names from now on...

Thanks everyone,

Malcolm

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller